Another Addition

She trudged through the warm sands and saw the pleasant buzz of fishermen docking up or unloading, and some merchant-assistants counting everything down.

There were various fisher-woman groups doing different tasks such as weaving the nets, some were making jewelry, and the many others were skinning some of the fish. Kaurvaki stayed clear from the fish area. The smell was nauseating.

She spotted the fisher-woman group where Kaaki was. She smiled brightly and approached the group.

"Hello, aunty!"

Some of the women looked up and smiled warmly. 

Kaurvaki loved weaving nets with the women. They did tend to gossip, but there was always a warm motherly feeling about them, and it was the only time she felt close to having a mother.

Kaaki, a middle-aged woman with hairs starting to grey, stood up to acknowledge her. Her little seashell jewelry clanked melodiously. 

She came to Kaurvaki and pinched her cheek, "So how is Kaurvaki betia doing"!

Kaurvaki smiled, mostly out of force from her cheek being pinched. "I'm fine".

Kaki patted Kaurvaki's wet sea-mangled hair. "What has happened here!"

"Kaurvaki looked embarrassed, "Uh...swimming expedition".

All the women laughed as she stood there looking embarrassed.

"Jagathnath still let you come?"

"Well, you were counting on me and I promised you, so..."

Kaaki patted her, "How kind of you Kaurvaki! Always thinking about me before yourself!" 

She turned concerned, "But...you are alright?"

Kaurvaki nodded, "Better than any fish on this seashore." Literally, she thought to herself.

Kaaki looked satisfied and beamed once more. She took Kaurvaki's hand and led her off with quite a chatter.

Kaurvaki was confused as to why they were leaving in the other direction but was too polite to interrupt her.

"Oh, you know about my elder son! Gone to meet his to-be in-laws at the western side. Border disputes have drained out for now..." She went on like this, and Kaurvaki patiently listened.

She had heard about the border dispute thing ever since she could remember. It was about how the Mauryan's were always setting their greedy eyes on Kalinga, but Kalinga had remained strong!

A strong rush of pride eloped in her. She had the Kalinga spirit like the rest of the subjects. She had grown up hearing stories of the greedy Mauryan's and their first Acharya Chanakya who with his wit and tactics had deceitfully taken over the kingdom of Magadha. 

At first, Kalinga had been kind and openly to the new emperor Chandraguptha, but soon realized the real intentions of the Mauryan's.

In fact, just at the thought of the Mauryan's brought a great hatred into Kaurvaki, she was overcome with a freezing coldness.

She was surprised at this sudden change in feeling that occurred whenever the name Mauryans came up, it would knock her off from her usually tranquil mood.

"Kaurvaki."

Her attention became normal. "Yes, Kaaki?"

Kaaki smacked herself in the forehead. "I nearly forgot to tell you through all this talking!"

Kaurvaki looked at her expectantly.

"You won't be working with the women's' group any longer", she stated very plainly.

A look of alarm crossed Kaurvaki's face, and to her dismay, Kaaki started laughing!

"Is this some joke?", Kaurvaki asked.

Kaaki patted her, "No, no, I'm very serious".

Kaurvaki's heart sank.

"Lighten up!", Kaaki exclaimed, "I didn't finish what I had to say!"

They stopped walking.

"Kaurvaki, you are always spending time with the women, and though don't get me wrong, WE LOVE to happy your company, I feel you should spend more time with the other girls".

Kaurvaki tried hiding her frown. "Um..."

"Relax! You know them! But we've decided to create an official weaving group for the Kanyas!"

Kaurvaki wasn't too bright about that idea.

Kaaki led her to a part of the beach with jutting black rocks all collected into a sort of tribal looking group. It looked like a great place to spend time!

As they got closer, Kaurvaki heard girly laughter, and soon she realized all the girls were staring at her.

Kaaki patted Kaurvaki proudly, "Alright girls! Another addition"!