Unanswered Questions

Most of the time spent was all the girls gawking about the Meenakshi pooja. Kaurvaki ended up finishing up the nets by herself.

Soon, Kaaki and the other women came, and all the girls fumbled in embarrassment except for Kaurvaki who was looking bored.

Kaaki examined the net. "You girls DID do everything EQUALLY right?"

They all half-murmured the real truth.

One of the women looked at them with skeptical amusement, "What were you all really  doing?"

Finally, Kanji had to burst it out, "We were talking about the Meenakshi festival!"

Knowing glances passed between the women and they all burst into chuckles and laughter. 

"Oh, you girls!", said Meena's mother.

Kaaki was chuckling as well, "oh don't worry, we have found many tasks for you all to take part in for the pooja AND festival".

Excited murmurs spread through the girls.

"But", Kaaki declared, "You will all have to find that out tomorrow!"

There were small groans of disappointment.

"Oh come on!" Kaki exclaimed. "It is almost dark, and you must all retreat home! Just wait till tomorrow!"

The mothers started going and collecting their daughters who were in a bubbly excitement even at the end of the day.

The situation was becoming awkward for Kaurvaki, so she started to leave when Kaaki's net-worn hand touched her shoulder. Her eyes looked warmly at Kaurvaki. "Kaurvaki, you are not going to go home with your Kaaki?"

Kaurvaki was kind of surprised, feeling touched and yet embarrassed. "Sorry..."

Kaaki smiled, "come!"

They walked the few yards, and finally, Kaurvaki mustered up her question.

"Kaaki?"

"Hm?"

She was hesitant.

"What is it child".

Kaurvaki looked down sheepishly, "I was just wondering...why everyone was making such a BIG BIG deal about the Meenakshi festival".

Kaaki stared at her.

" I meant like it was bigger than usual".

A small smile crept up Kaki's face, "well Kaurvaki, it is something that is very important for one's future".

"But that's what everyone has been saying!"

Kaki took her hand and they continued to walk. "Slowly by slowly, mother Meenakshi's leela will unfold and you will understand everything".

Kaurvaki was getting annoyed at the same answer everyone was giving her. She didn't want any riddling statement, just the simple answer, but for some reason, everyone liked playing this game with her.

"Child, frankly speaking, no one really knows. There are some girls who have performed the proper pooja to Meenakshi, and something good has happened in their lives because of it. Whether it is a good home, or maybe they were granted with a wonderful child once married, or maybe given profound wealth! It is always something that mother Meenakshi grants to a truly devoted devotee".

"So that is what it is?"

Khaki was contemplating, "No, no. There is also the story that goes along with it. Here,  your house is here."

Kaurvaki realized just then that she was at the front of her and her father's hut.  But she wanted to hear the rest of what Khaki had to say!

Khaki patted her, "You go now, but when I get time I will definitely tell you that story ok?"

Kaurvaki was reluctant, but she nodded and said her goodbyes.

Once she entered the hut, a strong aroma of seaweed filled the small room. She looked to see her father cooking in a clay pot over the fire. He turned to greet her.

"Aray Beti! Look! I didn't make fish today, aren't you happy?"

Kaurvaki smiled gratefully. The worse part of being a fisher-girl was that the daily staple was fish, and as ironic as it was, Kaurvaki just couldn't eat it. So she would normally partake some other plant staple instead, but her father always complained how that wasn't efficient and that she was getting thinner because of this.

They both sat down for dinner eating the seaweed soup in clay bowls. 

Kaurvaki thought about asking her father what he knew about the Meenakshi Pooja, but based on all the responses she'd been getting so far, she decided to do otherwise.

Guess I'm on my own for this one.