01. A Day In The Life Of...

NY, Harlem

Jabri 'Jah' Hampton

Jabri 'Jah' Hampton

The constant buzzing of my phone had me rolling all over the bed trying to find it. Sliding my hand under the pillow to the far right of me, I hit the side button to silence it. It only took but a second more before it started to buzz again. Shit. If it was one thing I hated, it was being woken up out my sleep. I hated that shit with a passion. Even when I was a lil kid, I used to really bug out on my sister and brother for doing that shit.

"Yo." I answered tightly, using my left hand to lift up a little.

"Yo my ass nigga, you up? I'm almost there." My nigga Reem said into the phone making me suck my teeth. Pushing myself up fully, I rubbed at my eyes. "Yea nigga, Im up. Gimme like 15 minutes." I told him as I slid to the edge of the bed, placing my feet flat on the cold floor. "15 minutes nigga, no more no less." He grumbled before I hit the red button to end the call.

Reem was my childhood bestfriend; more like a brother/mentor to me. He had me by a few years in age so I always looked to him for advice. About women, streets, faith, just life in general. He always knew what to say and when to say it. He made a nigga like me really get my shit together. A lot of shit I don't do no more and the things I do now are done differently. With him and the opps on my ass, I couldn't make the wrong move. Not that I was trying to anyway. Honestly, after doing my bid in the joint and seeing the tears roll down my moms face, I just knew I wasn't going back. So I'm doing everything in my power to make sure of that.

Which brings me to my first activity of today, anger management classes. I was booked on an assault charge which resulted in 2 years in jail. It was known as a class D felony; that's 7 years max but because I ain't have no prior convictions I got the 2 years. I had lil run-ins with the cops before but it was on some dumb shit, so I never really did time until I caught this charge. When I went to court before my release the judge made it clear that she wanted me to attend anger management classes. I literally had to sign up immediately after my release and attend as soon as possible.

I had 1 year in total to complete so I would be done in June. As much as I hated going to this shit of a class, I was doing pretty good. If we not counting the fact that I'm late every damn Wednesday for the shit. But back to the point at hand, Reem played a big part in helping me get there. I had my own car but that nigga took it upon himself to pick me up and drop me off. He said he knew if he ain't take me, my ass wasn't going.

And he was right.

I was ready in 15 minutes exact, dressed in some sweats, a white t and my slides. It was too early to be looking like something so I just thugged it out. Grabbing my phone, keys and backwoods, I headed out the room. I grabbed my hoodie and locked up before jogging to the elevator.

"Good timing boy." Reem greeted as I hopped in the passenger seat. I dapped him before putting my seatbelt on and leaning the seat back a little. "Rushing a nigga, for what though?" I joked. "You know why boy, keep playing. You ain't got long, just two more months." He reminded me.