Chapter Four

Chapter Four   

Of all the rational things I could fear when it comes to attending Trinity University, the normal stuff, like being the only non-millionaire at the school, and all that, the one thing that set my nerves off, is the cafeteria.

Flashbacks to my old high school cafeteria flooded my mind, and I couldn't stop myself from feeling disgusted. Disgusted with myself, because I sat alone then, just like I am now.

Sure, in college, sitting alone is probably a blessing to most. I find it lonely, and personally humiliating because I know none of these rich kids would ever want to associate themselves with me. I don't have money, I don't have status. My parents are both working two jobs just to afford rent.

Making friends at Trinity University? I'd have to be a complete fool to believe something like that would happen. That, or my imagination would be wild.

I just can't imagine it ever happening.

I sat at a table, and pretended to not mind everyone's eyes watching me most likely because of the incident me and Ezra shared this morning. It seems they are never going to forget about the underprivileged girl who pretends to be confident around and richest twenty-four-year-old in America.

It seems that Ezra won't forget about it either. He walked into the cafeteria his eyes glued on me the moment he was in sight.

I sunk in my seat, and began to skim through my phone, pretending to be distracted, or to not care at all. I don't think it was convincing.

I would just go to my dorm for lunch, but unfortunately, I have a class scheduled right after 1:00 so doing so would be a waste of time. 

Ezra was surrounded by a mob of classmates, all of them looked more prestige than most the students which is saying something, because they all look prestige to me, they must be the mega spoiled club, heartless young adults who thrive on their parents' wealth and success.

If I wasn't being monitored under Ezra's death glares, I'd laugh.

They all sat at a table not far from mine. Ezra seemed to practically bleed confidence as he sat back with his arm casually leaning on the back of his chair. Two girls sat on either side of him, and I could tell they both spent at least two hours on their makeup and attire for this very moment. This is probably the greatest moment of their super rich lives.

What a waste of beauty.

I sighed, and returned my gaze to my cellphone. I checked through my messages to find my father had texted me a quote of motivation to get through my first day. Under the quote was a really old 2012 meme of a cat smiling with human teeth. He seemed just as nervous about me attending here, as I was dreading it.

I hadn't realized I was smiling until I looked up and caught Ezra's gaze. I could feel the smile melt off my face into an expression of organic disgust.

We've been locking gazes all morning, and it was becoming such a burden, that I began to crave the site of the floor, at least there, I won't meet a pair of eyes that were spewing hatred and power at me.

Unable to take the tense atmosphere of the cafeteria, I decided to leave. I stood from my table, swung my bookbag over my shoulder, and began to walk out.

As I passed Ezra's table, I was so focused on not looking at him, that I didn't see him stick his leg out, purposely, and successfully, tripping me. My books scattered out of my bag and landed in every direction on the floor. Humiliated, and excruciatingly pissed, I gathered them in a matter of seconds, and stood up, facing the devil head on.

"What the hell is wrong with you?" I shouted and suddenly the cafeteria went dead silent.

All eyes were on us.

All eyes were on me.

"I'm afraid I don't know what you're talking about." Ezra spoke calmly, and I wanted to punch him. Right in his perfect face. The only thing stopping me was his family's terrifying hold on discipline.

They could manage to trial me with so many lies, I'd be sent to prison for life.

"Oh? Are you so daft you forgot you purposely tripped me?" My voice got even louder. I suddenly realize what book characters mean when they say they are so angry they see red. Red is everywhere, red is Ezra's blood on my fist. "Are we in highschool? Maybe I'm the daft one, as I must have forgotten we aren't fifteen anymore."

I took a deep breath to calm myself. It didn't work.

"Trip you?" His eyebrows shot up in fake concern, "I did no such thing." He turned to the people sitting at his table, "Did I trip her? Because I don't recall."

They all shook their head no. Fucking sheep.

He turned back to me, and gave me what I only could describe as a golden grin of feigned innocence, "Maybe you're just distressingly clumsy, how unfortunate for you."

I felt my body be completely possessed by my uncontainable rage. I grabbed a cup of soda from the nearest table, and without a second thought, not that I really gave it a first thought either, I dumped the contents of the cup on Ezra's head. Gasps erupted all throughout the room, and I think someone screamed which I didn't have time to think about how over-dramatic that was, because I was about to die which was not dramatic at all because there really was a chance he'd kill me and nobody would claim witness to it.

He shot up from his seat, he looked just as shocked as everyone else in the room. "You bitch!" He shouted, and suddenly all anger and bold confidence fled from my body, leaving only cowardice and regret behind.

"What the hell?" Someone who was sitting with him at the table said, but I refused to stay any longer to hear the rest. I gripped my bookbag tightly around my arm, and made a run for it out of the cafeteria.

I didn't stop until I was in my next classroom, and safely hidden at a desk in the far back of the room. The lights to the room weren't even on as the professor and everyone should still be at lunch. The room was silent, and empty, and the perfect setting for safety.

I sunk into the desk seat, and forced myself to take long breaths to calm my racing heart. My phone went off in my pocket, and I checked it only to see that it was a text from my dad. He asked how my first day was going, and I couldn't even find enough dignity to reply. I wanted to laugh and cry at the same time at how insanely opposite this day has turned out for me. My initial plan was to stick to myself and not talk to anyone, not do anything stupid that would gain attention and yet, I think I may have stuck out today as much as Ezra himself.

This has been one disastrous first day at Trinity University, and I had a feeling it was only going to get worse.