Chapter 26

Chapter 26- Haylee's POV

It was about 8:30 am, when Nat came storming inside my hospital room. My mom was talking to Nurse Nancy about some pills of mine, I needed to start to take- because apparently the old ones were not having an effect on my colon. You know what they say: new pills, new life.

She came into the room and interrupted my reading of my favorite book, the precious Divergent. Natalia came in dressed with her light blue and turquoise 'Dolphins' soccer uniform. Yes, she was in the Miami state division of ages 15 to 16. And yes, she was probably great at soccer to play for the Floridian state. But I had never seen her play...

"Haylee, Mrs. Richardson I was wondering if you guys would like to come to my soccer game today." Natalia said, a soccer ball in her tan arms.

"Of course we would love to assist, darling." My mom said, completely berserk about going to the soccer game considering that she used to play when she was younger. I was also eager: it was either reading the end of Divergent for the seventeenth time or watch my best friend play soccer. No brainer.

"Yesss! Thanks you guys. It'll be quite awesome. I'm so pumped." She said, starting to do some sort of small kick with the ball.

"Just give me a few minutes. I need to talk to Nancy about some pills. Then I can go drop you off." My mom said.

"Great. I'll text my mom to wait for us there." She said, sitting on the corner of the bed, texting her mom quickly.

"Hey Nat. What has been going on?" I ask, hoping she'd spill some details of the party.

"Nothing much. I'm just so pumped. A little too much, maybe-" She was interrupted by her buzzing phone. It was not a call, but a text. It displayed on her iPhone's screen:

New message from Matt E.

"You got his number?" I said, grabbing her phone and putting in her passcode- I knew it. I skimmed through the messages, she did not mind anyway.

"Yes. I got his number." She said, trying to sound calm. She failed.

"How come?" I ask. I wanted their numbers too. But no.

"Well yesterday I was his date to the party, and well I left pretty early to rest for the game today. So before I left he told me that he wanted to keep in touch. Then I told him we were probably going to see each other tomorrow. And then he said, almost like The Fault in Our Stars, that a night was too much to wait." She shrieked, extremely happy. She had found the right guy. And they did seem perfect together. The same humor, and yet their personalities were quite different.

I was extremely happy for her too. But if Shawn had not done that to me, he was probably not interested. Not a surprise. At the mention of The Fault in Our Stars, I wanted to puke. The book is a complete literacy's masterpiece, and yet I despised that book with all my heart.

Those love stories do not happen. Yes, it was not a fairytale ending or story, but it was too extraordinary to happen to a common cancer girl. I understood how he wanted a new point of view, but maybe it was the wrong one. Maybe none of us, cancer patients, were to think like that.

Love stories were never to happen to us.

"Gosh, Natalia de León, I envy you." I said, grinning for our sake.

"You should." She said, teasing. We both laughed hard at her cockiness.

"Haylee, Natalia we can go." My mom instructed, and so we got on her car and drove off to Lego Park.

When we got there. The whole crew was there. I did not expect that. Somehow I was so eager, to only look at Shawn. I only wanted him. Natalia went on to stretch with her team, and my mom went to the other side of the field, hoping to talk with the soccer coach.