Chapter Eighteen

"I've met someone, just like you, Credence," Newt says softly and slowly approaches us.

Persephone looks up at his voice and sees him through the dark mist. He was being careful, but she could feel that Credence wanted his help. He wanted to be free of this.

"A young girl who had been imprisoned. She had been locked away and punished for her magic," the dark mass that surrounds the two moves down the wall, slowly disappearing as the two of you are placed on the floor.

Persephone could feel the magic running through his veins, trying to break out of their confines but Credence is strong enough to hold back. At least for now.

"Persephone?" Newt mutters as the black mist disappears.

She nods and then looks over to Credence who is looking up at Newt.

"Credence, can I come over to you?" Newt asks, getting down to Credence's level.

Persephone could feel Credence shaking and she kisses his cheek, hoping to calm him.

"You can trust him, Credence. Don't be afraid," she whispers as Newt slowly tries to make his way over.

As Newt tries to walk over, a bright light shoots over and knocks him over. You look back to see who cast the spell to see none other than Percival Graves.

Credence shoots up and starts running away, the excess emotion stirring him up. You frown and run after him, looking back to see Graves shooting another spell at Newt. In this moment she promises to protect Credence, even if it means that she dies and he lives.

Credence finally stops and looks up to see a train coming his way. She grabs his hand and pulls the two out of the way, hugging him tightly as tears well up in her eyes. He did not deserve any of this.

Persephone tries her best to soothe Credence but she cannot concentrate when all she hears is Newt groaning in pain as Graves repeatedly shoots him with spells.

She kisses Credence's cheek and then runs over to where Newt is getting hurt.

"Stop it! That's enough!" she screams out and takes her wand out, shooting a spell at Graves to disorient him.

He frowns and shoots a spell at her, pushing her to the side without actually hurting her. But, Credence thought differently. He watched as the love of his life gets thrown to the side and explodes in a black mass once more. It was truly angry this time.

Persephone sits in the middle of the subway, watching as Credence destroys it with tears in her eyes. She wanted to help but when she fell, something in her side just cracked. She takes deep breaths, almost amused as the black mass goes for Graves and Newt but always avoiding her. It showed the love that Credence had but it really had to stop.

Credence breaks up into the barrier and then screams before going back down and destroying everything in its path. This was where you had to stop it.

You get up and run over to the scene.

"Credence! This has to stop!" she screams, holding her side in pain. The black mass stills, listening to her.

She sniffles and looks at it sadly, walking toward it slightly.

"Please, you don't have to do this," she says softly, holding a hand up.

"Good, Persephone. Keep talking. He'll listen to you, he's listening," he says and she slowly walks forward.

"I know that you're scared, I know you're hurt. I know what she did to you," she sniffles and smile sadly at him.

The mass slowly morphs into a figure of Credence with the mass floating around him in a rage of emotions.

"You need to stop this now," she mutters softly when she finally reaches him. "You know that I will protect you, that Newt and my sister will too."

He stands slowly and makes his way toward you. You can hear another person behind you, Tina. It was nice to know that she was helping and that you had more backup if anything were to go badly.

"Graves is using you," Persephone says and sticks her hand out once Credence is close enough.

She hears Graves breath in quickly and he immediately starts to talk.

"Don't listen to her, Credence. I want you to be free," he says.

Credence was almost a solid mass and Persephone reached into it, hoping to touch Credence and calm him down.

"Good, Credence," she says softly.

She hears footsteps running down the stairs and the youngest Goldstein whips around, instantly placing herself in front of him.

"Don't hurt him," Persephone says as Credence is almost whole.

"Don't fire! If anyone fires, they'll answer to me!" Graves says and the last thing Persephone sees is bright lights flying toward her.

-

She wakes up on a hospital bed, a light sheet placed over her. No one is around and fear washes over Persephone. Her first thoughts go to Credence. Where is she? What happened to him?

A light patter of heels makes Persephone turn her head. She sees Queenie with a small smile on her face and a slice of pie on a plate in her hands.

"Hey, how you doin' Pea?" she asks softly and hands Persephone the plate.

Persephone instantly shakes her head and sighs.

"You know how I'm doin', Queen," she says softly and does not eat her pie.

Tina walks in with Newt by her side and you look up at them in fear.

"Where is Credence?" Persephone asks sternly.

The three of them glance at each other and a sick feeling settles in the bottom of Persephone's stomach.

"Persephone, Credence... he's gone."

And her world came crumbling down.

Persephone had never felt her heart break, she could not seem to feel anything. All she felt was her whole world coming crashing down.

She sobbed until she fell asleep and when she woke, she continued to cry.

A week after the incident, Persephone went home feeing sicker than ever. She would not talk, she would not do anything except wonder how she messed up.

They told her the story of how he died. That when Persephone tried to shield Credence, the black mass that was him would not let her. It surrounded her and protected her. Credence died protecting her, when she was trying to do the same for him.

Oh, how Persephone wished that it was her.

-

A/N: Hello, my beautiful people. I've missed you all so much. I'm so sorry I've been on hiatus due to school. It has been a rough start to the school year but I am back and you better believe that I'm coming back strong. I am going to do my best to upload on the regular schedule once again, maybe even once a week if I am able too. I love you all, please know that. <3 The Small Teaspoon