Chapter 10 - Out Of The Woods

| Just go with it... |

Bruce kept close watch on Steve for the next week, finally letting him return to his room after the second day. His weight and his height had stabilized, his headaches had gone away, he was remembering everything...

You had gone back to working out and normal things, and even though Steve wasn't allowed yet, he tagged along. He was like a giant puppy and you didn't mind at all because there was a point you thought you'd never have him like this again.

When the team went on a mission, they voted that you stay behind to be with Steve. Ordinarily, you would have argued but you knew there was no use in it this time. When they left on the quinjet, you looked at Steve. "What are we going to do now?"

"You know what? - I'm going to cook for you," he said. He looked so enthusiastic, you didn't have the heart to tell him you really needed to get out of the building soon. The two of you headed to the kitchen.

Steve opened the refrigerator and starting pulling food out. "Why don't you find a movie for us to watch?"

"I'd rather stay with you," you said. "Can I help?" You sat down on a barstool.

"Nope," he said, matter-of-factly.

"Then I'll just enjoy the view," you said, winking at him. "Friday, please play 1940's music."

"Aren't you a doll?" he said, looking up from cutting chicken.

"Just thought you'd like it," you said. "What are you making?"

"Chicken Parmesan."

"That's my favorite!" you said.

"I know."

"Steve, you're being very secretive..."

"Noooooooo," he smiled. He walked around the counter to give you a kiss. "The past month has been all about me... and tonight it's not. I want tonight to be about you. In fact, I want you to play your music."

"This has grown on me," you said.

He went back to cooking. "Save me a dance then. Once I get this chicken in the oven, I have a good ten minutes to myself until I have to do the next thing. Do you know what I can do in ten minutes?"

You laughed. "Are you allowed to do that now?"

"I am," he said. The look on his face was so taunting, you just wanted to run over and rip his shirt off but you knew your patience would drive him nuts. So you'd stick with that.

"Good to know," you said.

When Steve finished prepping the chicken, he put it in the oven and washed his hands. He went to the cupboard and retrieved a few tapered candles and a lighter, setting them on the table and lighting them up. "Do I get that dance now?"

You reached out for him and as he came closer, he said "Friday, dim the lights please."

What happened next definitely started out as a slow dance... but quickly turned into a make-out session in the middle of the kitchen. It was nice to not have someone walking through the kitchen, but also odd that everyone was gone.

If the timer for the noodles hadn't gone off, you weren't sure if things would have stopped. "You want wine?" he asked, now standing back at the stove.

"That sounds nice," you said, pinching your shirt between your fingers and moving your hand back and forth to force air up your shirt. "I'll find something."

"I got it," he said. "Want some now?"

"Please," you said. Maybe it would be chilled enough to cool you down.