#24 The silent witness

Shweta.

I am still handcuffed to the cot and I watched them as they were filled with grievances.

All of them were silently crying and I suddenly wanted to disappear to thin air.

Even though varsha's dad's death have nothing to do with me, I feel guilty now.

Suddenly, I was too tired.

Tired from running away, Tired from hiding, Tired from not facing the truth..

I am the only daughter of surya narayan and directly or indirectly I am responsible for all their crimes.

My mom wanted me to escape that house, She said there's no need for me to get entangled because we are entirely different, But it doesn't feel like that anymore.

I can't hide away from their sins, It will keep on coming back to me.

Nandana's smiling face flashed through my eyes again and I tried to not think about her.

Instead, I watched them- varsha slowly calmed down, Her sobs slowly dying and her eyes filled with a terrifying coldness.

"How did he die?" She asked.

Nobody moved or attempt to answer her.

"Tell..me-"

"Varsha, you need res-"

"No karthik! Tell me what happened, I deserve to know what happened to my pappa!" she said adamantly.

"He..fell down from a building"

"Fell down? My pappa fell down?"

"Then why did they say that it's a murder?" she asked again "Even if my dad fell down, Surya group would have made it to look like a suicide since he was running from the shareholders and he had to give up the company, But what made the police suspect that he's murdered?" varsha asked.

Everyone looked uneasy again.

"Are you still keeping things from me!?" she asked angrily.

"Varsha, we will fill you everything when-"

"No! tell me now! I need to know what happened to him!"

"Varsha please-"

"I am his daughter!" she shouted again.

"His body was burnt and he was found at the highway" shahid said and silence filled again before varsha break down crying again.

"I..I need to go.." She sobbed and Aditi held her close.

"Varsha, You can't appear there, Surya group people will be closely watching" she said "Mahesh has a grudge against you"

"But-"

"You can't go there" Aditya said firmly.

"I will go and help trisha" karthik spoke up "I will ask my dad about this case too" he said.

"Yes, That's better, Since they wanted the world to know that it's a murder, surya group will be planning something big" shahid said.

"My..pappa.." varsha sobbed "it's all my fault, He was supposed to go abroad, But he stayed behind for me.."

"Don't torment yourself like this, Varsha, You stayed behind for your pappa too, If anyone's to blame, It's the people who did that to him!" karthik said firmly.

"Here take this" Aditya brought a glass of water and pills "It will help you sleep" he said.

"But-"