2 2

22nd August 2010

Twenty minutes later they were back on the road again, Stefan upfront with Nik driving and silence asides from Grace cooing at her new found friend with whom she was snuggled up with on the back seat.

Turned out Rudy was a gangly little puppy who had wondered off slightly too far. It didn't take long to find him and it took even less time for Grace to adopt, rename, fall in love with and pledge her life to the floppy little thing.

She had tired the best she could to get rid of the blood stains Stefan had so graciously pointed out but she was sure her hair was still caked in it. Sadly there wasn't much to do - not at least until she could have a nice hot shower.

"So where to now - we obviously were slightly unsuccessful in locating Sutton so what's our next move?"

"Those lovely ladies kindly informed us if we're our good friend Sutton would be before he joins the pack."

"And where would that be?"

"Here."  Nik said pointing forward through the windscreen. They had just pulled up outside a roadside dive, the flickering sign read Southern Comforts.

"A bar, you sure you want the first member of your new race to be this guy."

"It's convenient, it's close and it works."

"Nik, there is nothing close or convenient about this whole thing - you have history with this Sutton character don't you."

"If you mean he was chosen for a reason then yes, he was, but I've never met the man and don't have any history with him as you put it."

"Whatever. Now about what we talked about."

"And that was."

"This time we do things my way." Grace said, leaving the car, dog in tow. Nik opened his door to follow but she stopped it, placing her hand on the handle. "How about this time we try a soft interrogation instead of your, enhanced techniques."

"I'll have you know my techniques are mosh fruitful love."

"Please, I just want you to trust me."

"I do trust you."

"I know just show me - trust me to get the job done."

"Alright we'll do it your way, but I'll be listening and if anything happens I'll be right there."

"I'll be counting on it."  As Nik moved his legs back into the footwell she slammed the door before walking off agin towards the bar.

It was a small dingy establishment, understandably there were hardly any patrons in - it was midday after all.

It didn't take long for her to single outta her target, the two silver haired leathered types matched the Harleys out front and three pensioners didn't really match Sutton's description that Nik had been following across the country. The man at the bar alone, however, he was most definitely Sutton.

Taking a final deep breath for courage she made her way towards him, it couldn't go wrong she reassured herself only slightly not to plan.

"Is this seat taken."  She asked sliding in next to him, she felt like she belonged in a cheap budgeted z-list movie but it had worked, she had his attention now.

"I guess it is now." Taking another swig from his pint he raised his head to meet hers "And you would be?"

"Beth." The smile that accompanied the name was just as fake, but it seemed to be working.