Going back

Chapter 26

Kane's P.O.V:

"Cinderella? Cinderella?" I whispered softly. She stirred a little in her sleep and her eyes furrowed at something in her feverish dreaming state. I frowned in worry and lightly shook her. Her eyes fluttered a little and she glanced around her.

"Here," I said softly and showed her two pills and a glass of water. She looked up at me and her eyes were clouded in confusement. I placed the pills and the glass on the nightstand so I could help her sit up.

"Mony told me to tell you she's staying at Rose's house for the night," I remembered and she nodded absent-mindedly.

I supported her back while I handed her the pills. She took them and quickly swallowed them. She made a face at the taste. I chuckled despite the direness of her fever and she smiled. She reached up and her arms fell around my neck. She laid her head on my shoulder gently. She smiled softly and pulled me closer.

"Thank you," she murmured against my neck.

"For what?" I murmured back.

"Just for being here," she replied. "You have no idea how much that - you - mean to me," she said and I swear I felt my heart miss a beat. She fell asleep in that position.

.-.-.-.-.-.-.-.-.-.-.-.-.-.-.-.-.-.-.-.-.-.-.-.

Later

.-.-.-.-.-.-.-.-.-.-.-.-.-.-.-.-.-.-.-.-.-.-.-.

My eyes shot open and I blinked away another nightmare. I've barely gotten any sleep yet and I'm sure it would be morning soon.

Ella...

I knew it was just a nightmare, but I wanted to be sure so I got up and quietly pried my door open. The house was quiet, eerily quiet. I shook away the idea.

'Stop being paranoid,' I thought to myself and forced my feet to move down the hall to the room Ella was sleeping in. I figured it wouldn't hurt to check on her.

The door creaked when I swung it open. I froze when I saw her. She was sitting up right with, a figure in dark clothing behind her. The figure had an arm around her throat - a knife - steel gleaming in the moonlihgt. The figure was hooded but I knew it was grinning darkly. There were tears in Ella's eyes and they rolled down her cheeks.

This couldn't be happening. It's impossible, someone would have heard them come in. This can't be real.

The knife moved faster that I could and blood sprayed everywhere. The hooded figure disappeared and my legs finally moved. I fell to my knees next to her and desperately tried to stop the blood.

"Ella? El-" I started but she interrupted me.

"Your fault... It's all your fault," she hissed.

"What are you- no, no, please just-"

"It's all your fault!"

I bolted upright and immediately ran down the hallway to Ella's room. I pushed the door open and froze.

She was safe.

I breathed a sigh of relief. It was a nightmare within a nightmare. I glanced on the clock on her nightstand.

4:26 A.M

I knew after that I wasn't going to get any sleep so I dragged a chair next to her bed and sat down. I grabbed a book from her nightstand and glanced at the cover.

'Shade me'

I sighed and opened to the first page, I started reading.

When I woke up the sun was already high in the sky and I was laying down. I looked down and my arms were wrapped around Ella's waist. She stirred slightly and her eyes fluttered.

"Hey," I murmured.

"Hey," she replied as she turned to face me. "Sorry, I woke up and saw you sleeping in the chair so I kind of dragged you into the bed." She blushed and I smiled at her.

"It's fine. I don't mind. I do however want to know how midget you-" I teased, poking her stomach. She squealed at the sensation. "-Managed to drag me into a bed."

"Don't tease me. I'm stronger than I look," she responded instantly. Her smile fell and a small frown appeared between her eyes. "Are you okay? You were sleeping in the chair..." she trailed off. I grinned at her and pulled her closer to me with a wink.

"Are you worried, Cinderella?" I asked and she shot me a warning glare, which I laughed off.

"Of course I am. You shouldn't be losing sleep over me," she uttered the words softly.

"I wasn't," I lied. "I was just-" Her glare shut me up. She knew I was lying. I sighed and decided to change the subject. I reached up and touched her forehead.

"You still have a bit of a fever," I informed her.

"Don't try to change the subject," she scolded me, but shivered slightly.

"Looks like it's a bed day today. We get to spend the whole day in bed," I pronounced and her eyes widened slightly.

"No," she gaped and shot up.

"What do you mean 'no'? You're sick, Cinderella. Which means you get to spend the day in bed and rest up while everyone else attends to your every wish," I insisted.

"No, Kane. I can't stay away from home any longer or he'll notice. He might be home tonight and if we're not there he'll call the cops and-"

"Okay, okay, I get it," I interrupt with my hands in the air. "I don't like it one-" I started.

"I know, but I have to go. You don't get to make that kind of decisions for me, Kane. For Mony's safety I'm going," she insisted. I grit my teeth but forced a smile.

"I know."