Chapter 7

Elizabeth sighed as she walked around the empty office. She trailed her fingers over the desks as she wandered off in thought. 

This was the place where she had worked for the last three years of her life. She smiled to herself thinking about the fact that this had been her first job. Straight out of university she had come here, looking for a job. 

She had always wanted to become an architect, quite frankly it had been her childhood dream. So right after university, she had gone looking for a job. This, however, didn't work, she had gone everywhere and no one would hire her. 

Then when someone told her about a job at McGregor industries, she swallowed her pride and went over there. She chuckled when she couldn't even remember the job for which she was applying, that was how nervous she was. 

What she did remember, however, was Mr. McGregor. How kind he was, how much he helped her and how much of a father figure he had been. 

The smile left her face however when she thought of him. God, she missed him... She felt the tears prickle in her eyes and quickly blinked them away. 

One glance at the clock told her that she should go up to her desk and get ready for her last day at work...

This morning James had just glanced at her weirdly as he had walked by. She told him her usual good morning to which he replied with a mumble that sounded like 'morning'.

Most of the day he sat in his office, he didn't call her or say anything for her. It was only when she told him that she was leaving for a quick coffee break that he had even looked her in the eye. 

"Oh." Had been his reply. "Alright, you may go." He had said as she closed the door behind her. A little bit ticked off by his reply she grabbed her bag and went down to the ground level. 

"No way," Natalie said with a smile on her face and a breadstick in her hand. "Yes, way," Elizabeth replied with an annoyed look on her face. 

"First he treats me like a dog, now he ignores me and has the idea that he has to excuse me, like a child going to the bathroom." 

"O come on Elizabeth, it's not that bad. Don't you think you're overreacting?" Natalie replied. 

Elizabeth sighed at her friend's response and was about to reply when her eyes widened. "What is he doing here?" She said out loud."

"What do you mean?" A confused Natalie said turning around. Her eyes widened to match Elizabeth's as she witnessed James McGregor walking into a simple diner, still wearing an Armani suit. 

Quickly the two of them looked away, not wanting to be recognized by their boss. They both let out a sigh of reliving when he took a table outside, (the two of them were sitting inside) and he was out of hearing and seeing range. 

"God he is intimidating," Natalie said taking a sip of her tea. "But you have to admit he really is a sight for sore eyes." She added wiggling her brows. At that Elizabeth nearly spit out her tea. 

"O come on, even you have to admit. Especially when he hasn't shaven and he still had that light morning stubble." 

"Natalie!" Elizabeth exclaimed laughing.

"What I can't help it. Don't you ever wonder what kind of body is hiding underneath that sculpture that is his face?" She said innocently.

"Alright, he isn't ugly," Elizabeth said thinking about him. To be honest she thought he was the opposite of ugly. Come to think of it, he actually was quite handsome. She, however, had never thought of him that way, as his personality was ugly. She is a firm believer in beauty comes from within and she knew he hadn't shown her that kind of beauty. yet.

"Isn't ugly?" Natalie started, but Elizabeth drew her out quickly as she started thinking about her boss. 

"You're late." Were the first words that she was greeted with when she walked out of the elevator doors. She looked up and saw James sitting on her desk. Looking at her watch she saw that she was two minutes later that she was supposed to be.

"I'm sorry sir, it won't happen again." She said, knowing in the back of her mind that this was thankfully her last day. 

"I need the Johnson account file on my desk asap, I want you to call Haxel corp, and cancel my meeting and pick up my clothes from the dry cleaner." He said in one breath as she walked over to her desk. 

"Alright, Mason called and he wanted to move his meeting up to 9 o'clock, is that ok?" She said sitting down behind her desk as he turned around to look at her. "Sure, I'll be in my office." He said standing up. 

Elizabeth went about the tasks that he had given her and when it was around ten o'clock she walked back into the office having everything finished. She sat down behind her desk when Natalie came up to her desk. 

"Hey honey, how are you?" She asked sitting down on her desk. "I'm fine. Busy, but fine." 

"It's strange seeing you go, sweetie. I always thought you would stay here longer than I did." 

Elizabeth chuckled looking at her friend. "God, I thought I would have left after one year. I mean that was the deal."

"I know, but you really got this whole thing you know," Natalie said. You're the only one who stayed here for this long."

"O come on." Elizabeth chuckling. "But for real, you're going to be missed," Natalie said sighed.