Chapter 28: Bullet Holes

Sorry that the chapter is so short. I wanted to simulate the fact that Adrian isn't very lucid and is only able to make out very small details of what is happening around him.

Please stick with me, I promise things will get better and less dark. Just wait.

Thanks for reading.

~HarleyVB

Adrian's POV

Adrian's POV

The gun fell to the floor, blood sliding down along with it.

I could feel the stale breathe get caught in my throat, my fingers shaking relentlessly as the room felt as though it was tipping.

My eyes were wide and face was covered in splatters of thick red. I couldn't move, my ears and eyes refusing to work as they stayed plastered to the blank wall behind us.

"F-Finn,"

My heartbeat pounded in my ears, tears covering my face as I finally had the courage to look up at my mate.

Before I could react, Finn's body tipped over, his blood covered chest pressing against me as he started to tremble uncontrollably.

"F-Finny," my breath caught, throat tight like a balloon. "N-No. It's okay."

I tried to hold him up, my weak arms doing little as they wrapped around his back and felt the five bullet holes across his skin.

My knees hit the floor, blood coating my shoulder as Finn coughed harshly, tears filling my wide open eyes.

"N-No," I whispered, turning my gaze downwards to see the thick indents scattered across my mate's back. "Finny,"

He heaved, coughing up more blood and shaking in my arms as I tried to drag us both up. It was no use.

We had won-

"G-Get up," I whispered, forcing my burning arms to work as I cried out in frustration. "We won,"

It was as if I was fighting against an immovable force, gritting my teeth and trying once more to make myself work.

My vision blurred, tears covering my sight as I felt cold hands move across my back. I lifted my face up, meeting Finn's empty stare as blood slipped from his chilled lips. I brought my hand to his cheek and held in a sob at the grizzly sight before me.

It couldn't be real. This wasn't how it was supposed to end. We were going to get married, have kids, start a life together-

"It'll be o-okay," he said, voice soft and barely making it to my ears as I shook my head to block out what was happening in front of me.

He fell forward, gasping harshly for breath as I clutched the back of his neck and squeezed my eyes shut. I wouldn't let it end like this, not when I had regain my self worth back.

"No-" I shuddered, blocking out the surrounding sounds around me and internally praying for a miracle. "No, Atticus will find us-We'll get out of here together-" I was scrambling for an answer, grasping at straws as they seemed to fall from my hands.

I didn't understand how little time we had left.

"Y-You have to go," he muttered, pushing me forward slightly. "You and Ronny-"

"No," I snapped, clenching my teeth as more hot tears filled my eyes and I pushed my face against his bloodied neck. "I won't leave you, it's too soon."

His lips brushed softly against my skin, pressing weak kisses to my mark and making my skin tremble even more. I tugged at him, though he only pushed me away.

" I l-love y-you," he sucked in a tight breath. "So m-much." I shook my head, his hands cupping my face. "Go," he forced a weak smile on his face, pain overtaking the expression. "You have meant the world to me, love." I sobbed as he gently captured my lips, trying to hold on to him as everything slipped through my fingers.

"Go,"

The rest was a blur as Finn pushed me away, hacking up more blood against the concrete floor

I forced my legs to work, grabbing Ronny who sat limp against the wall and dragging us both up the stairs.

The metal door slammed shut behind us, closing me off from the one thing that kept me moving towards the light.

My vision was blurred as we weakly trudged across the bloodied grass. I limped forward, gunshots going off all around me.

I refused to look back, knowing that if I did, I would inevitably change my mind.

I love you,

Ronny clutched my arms, crying out as his nails dug into my skin and sliced thin cuts where he had grabbed.

I'm so sorry I didn't tell you,

The world spun around me, my breathing getting progressively heavier when reality crashed down like a wave on me.

I could've saved him-

I tipped forward, my knees hitting the ground and the sobbing man coming down with me.

It's too late now. He's gone.

An arm looped around me, though I fought against it as I noticed another man lifting up Ronny as well.

"Adrian," a voiced whispered, my head tipping back as I was unable to conjure up more strength. "Darling, it's alright."

I gasped for breath, panic heavy against my chest as I pushed against the hands that held me down against a car door. My head pounded, breaths coming out, but none making it back in.

An engine rumbled against me, the exterior of the car quickly shifting to the interior as someone lifted me into a seat and strapped a belt against my chest. The world behind the window moved suddenly, the vehicle lurching forward as gentle hands ran through my hair. But they weren't the hands I wanted.

"No," I whispered, slapping the man away from me as I watched the metal building start to disappear from my view. "Stop the car. Stop it!" I screamed, wrenching the handle forward only for it to be locked. "Finn!" I sobbed, clawing at the window while someone attempted to calm me down. "FINNY!"

I couldn't breathe, no air coming to my lungs as I screamed and fought the caging arms around me. My body was slowly shutting down, ears plugging and muffled voices moving to the back of my head.

I'm so sorry-

My vision was blurred, the rough rocking of the car keeping me from passing out as I felt my heart rip into pieces.

Only one thought went through my head as everything faded away into serene darkness.

I should've been the one to die, not you.