Chapter 8

James had been surprised when he came up the elevator and he saw a bunch of people surrounding the desk of his assistant. The second they noticed him however everything went quiet and most started walking away, leaving Elizabeth behind. 

"Make me a reservation at Pompadour, lunch for two at one o'clock." He said as he walked over to her desk. Elizabeth nodded and called the restaurant and within seconds she had the reservation made. 

"I want you to be ready at 12:40." He said looking at his watch. "That gives you 40 minutes."

"Ready for what sir?" She said confused. "Lunch." He simply said walking into his office, leaving a slightly confused Elizabeth behind. 

Her eyes were focussed on the screen in front of her when James walked out of his office. He walked over to her desk and leaned up against it. Through her lashes, she looked up at him seeing him look down at her. 

"I'm ready, just give me a second." She said finishing her work and saving it. He didn't say anything and just stood there, waiting. 

"Alright, all done." She said standing up and grabbing her bag. Strangely James still didn't say anything as he just extended his elbow for her to take. 

Confused she stared at it for a moment, unsure what to do. 

"Usually the woman takes the arm." He said with one corner of his mouth slightly curling up. 

She hesitated for a moment before grabbing the man's arm. 

When the two of them walked through the lobby of the building arm in arm everything went quiet. Everyone was staring at the two, no-one was even trying to hide it as they followed them with their eyes. 

Natalie nearly had a heart attack when she saw it. She knew that the both of them didn't particularly get along well together, but apparently, for now, they did. 

Like a gentleman, he walked with her on his arm. As soon as the pair reached the door he opened it for her and he even opened the car door for her. 

Elizabeth was taken aback by his actions. What was he planning? She thought as he stepped into the car himself. 

With a quick nod to the driver, he signaled to start driving. 

For a while it was quiet when James suddenly spoke up. "So have you ever eaten there before?" 

"Excuse me?" She said confused before answering. "Oh, yeah actually I have." 

"And?" He said looking at her with a strange look on his face. "I quite liked it. It has been a while ago but it is a good place." She said avoiding eye contact and nodding. 

There was something so strange at being so close to this guy. She never did expect him to recognize her, but it still felt strange when he didn't. It was after they first met that she had started to dislike him. Then as time went by things gradually became worse as she heard stories from his father. Of course, he loved his son, but there was something about him that she didn't quite like. 

She at first had hated him for not coming to visit his sick father. But it was nearing his time of death that she figured out that Mr. McGregor sr. had never told his son about the illness, so he couldn't have known. 

After that, she desperately wanted to tell him, even though she still really didn't like him. But upon request from his father she didn't. 

"I think we have arrived." She heard James say as he got out of the car. The door on her side was suddenly opened by the valet of the restaurant. Carefully she got out and walked over to James who was patiently waiting for her. 

It was only a matter of minutes later when the two arrived at their table. "So, you might wonder why I took you here," James said leaning back.

"You've only been my assistant for a short while, and I must say you live up to the legend. So this is why I am treating you to lunch."

Elizabeth quietly sat there, not knowing quite what to respond to that. 

It was six o'clock on the dot when Natalie saw Elizabeth pacing out of the building with a look of pure rage on her face. At first, she had wanted to run after her, ask her what was wrong. But she decided against it. She knew that Elizabeth didn't want to talk to anyone just by the look on her face. But still, the entire lobby seemed to be looking at the very door that she just left through. 

Suddenly people started whispering, talking about what must have happened. It was then that Natalie decided to go up to her boss and find out for herself. Once she got up to the top level she saw that the normally closed door into Mr. McGregor's office was now open. 

She walked over to the room, finding Mr. McGregor himself, setting there with water dripping down his face.