Chapter Thirty-Eight - Life's Unfair

"In second place..." the person announcing the results paused just long enough to make my already nervous self more so nervous. 

"Kate Greene!" 

I almost felt like I had been thrown into a dream, but then I felt Victoria's hand on my arm and heard her saying, "I knew it," she smiled. 

Feeling my feet almost moving by themselves, I headed up to the stage and took my prize, and then walked back through the audience who were applauding to sit beside Victoria. 

I had got second place, that was certainly something, I just wondered who was going to win. Obviously, I favored Victoria and Fox to nab first place, but you could never tell. 

They were both amazing artists, though, and it would be a well-deserved prize no matter what happened. 

Victoria seemed to be literally sat on the edge of her seat, so I was almost prepared to pull her back before she fell off it wondering who would win. I couldn't blame her, though. I knew she wanted this more than anything, she had a competitive spirit, so it made sense. 

Then the announcer smiled, after waiting for the applause to die down...an applause for me, that is. 

"The winner of this years art competition is..." 

With all the events that had passed, it wasn't long before I noticed that Victoria's hand was in mine, and her sister Valerie locked eyes with me from across the room in a death stare. Oh dear, I just hoped that she wouldn't shout out that the two of us were doing so.

"Victoria Lace!" 

"Oh my goodness!" Victoria said, and gave me a squeeze-like hug before heading up to the stage, the audience erupting in applause, but the happiness was somewhat soured by Victoria's sister from Lucifer's grotto staring at me, an unamused expression on her face as she clapped slowly at Victoria's success.

I didn't get what she had against the two of us, but it was certainly something.

Maybe she had heard her parents speak out against it before or she was just bitter, maybe.

Either way, I was still happy that Victoria had won, and wanted to pay attention to her right now. I didn't need to be distracted by someone who was threatening my happiness. Live in the moment, after all...

Victoria then headed back to sit beside me and smiled, holding her gold trophy and certificate. 

The announcer dismissed the crowd from the room, and Victoria and I headed out together, momentarily greeted by Fox and Margo who congratulated us both.

"I knew you would kill it, both of you," said Margo.

"Congrats Kate. Victoria," Fox smiled at me, and then tried to smile at Victoria. The two were keeping it civil, although they didn't like each other too much, still. 

Victoria and I headed around a quieter corner, presuming we would greet our parents later. 

"Congrats, Victoria," I smiled.

"You too! This is so great, well..." the smile that at first was on Victoria's face faded.

"No it's not." she stated.

Uh oh.

Trouble in paradise, once again.

"You're hiding something. Spill, I want to know..." 

"It's silly," 

"I know so much about you I mean..." she quietened her voice.

"You told me you love me Kate. I think we're on mutual terms for being able to tell each other things," she stated. 

"I just...I-" 

Victoria stood there, patiently awaiting for me to say whatever I could come up with in the next two seconds.

However, with pressure being pressure, I just blurted what was on my mind.

"I want to know what we are, Victoria. I mean..." 

Victoria looked only slightly surprised, but waited for me to continue again.

"I want to be with you," 

Victoria seemed thoughtful for a moment, before stepping forward, and moving her face closer to mine until our lips were just brushing, and then the voice of a somewhat bitter girl spoke, killing the mood, you could say...or just flat out driving a bulldozer over it.

"Look, you two see? Victoria's a complete lesbian, and she's been lying to the both of you," 

I felt my heart stop, so I could only imagine how bad Victoria felt. 

"Victoria...is this true?" her dad asked. 

Victoria looked towards me for a moment, before turning back to them. 

I exhaled, my shoulders falling. 

If life was a roller-coaster, then right now the cart was stuck before falling back down. 

"Yes, I like Kate more than just some friendship, if that's what you wanted to know...and," she came to stand beside me, placing her hand in mine again. Not that I could complain, though I was anxious as to how her parents would react to this. So far, it didn't seem to be working out so great. 

"...you two are together? Victoria? I can't believe this...what about Zachary?" her mother asked, to which Victoria sighed, squeezing the bridge of her nose, her eyes closing so that I could see the sparkling eye-shadow that made her eyes more prominent.

" What about him?" Victoria asked, and then her voice got quieter, and more solemn.

"Zachary cheated on me," she stated.

"Yes well, I'd rather you date some stupid cheater than a girl. This is so wrong, Victoria," 

"You don't mean that," Victoria's mother frowned at her father.

"Yes I do," he shrugged.

" I don't want you two seeing each other anymore... or else you can kiss your tuition goodbye," he added.

Tuition taken away just because of me? 

No, not because of me, but because Victoria's father's acceptance level had gone back about fifty years or so. 

This wasn't fair, at all. 

I just hoped that the tears wouldn't start, I had a knack for being oversensitive, which just became more so when it involved Victoria, seemingly.

  "How is that fair, dad? Why does who I like have any impact on your stupid life anyway? When exactly were you going to admit to mum that you cheated on her? I don't know about you but I consider that a more significant issue than who I choose to-" 

"Victoria!"  Her mother yelled, in a mix of frustration and surprise. 

"I guess we're done here...Kate, we're...done. Are you happy now?" Victoria sighed, and then headed away from the rest of us, and I stood rooted to the spot, not entirely able to fully comprehend what had just happened, but I didn't want to. 

The word 'done' echoed in my mind, and it felt so misplaced, because I felt so much for Victoria, and now she had walked away.