Chapter 11: Pain

I woke up the next morning sitting on the sofa, with Kit lying next to me, his head on my lap. I smiled, biting my lip, and brushed the hair away from his face. His long pale eyelashes fluttered against his ivory cheeks, before opening to reveal the gorgeous, entrancing amber eyes that I loved so much... 

"Hey", I whispered down at him, my heart beating faster as I saw little dimples forming on either side of his mouth as he bit back a grin, and rubbed his face with his small pale hands, in a very cat-like fashion.

"Good morning", he mumbled through his fingers, stifling an adorable yawn. I knew I had to move and get ready for class, but watching him there, lying so peacefully.... it made me feel like everything was going to be okay. Like it all would be just fine...

"I have to get up I'm afraid..." I chuckled at the scowl that shot across his tired features. "Come on, up you get", I kissed the top of his head, and gently moved him onto the sofa. I stood up and glanced back at him, before going into the bathroom for a shower. I knew that today was going to be difficult. No amount of looking at Kit's relaxing little body was going to change that. The hot water cascading down my torso calmed any nerves I had, and plans began forming in my mind, slowly falling into position.

"Alex!", I heard a shout from the kitchen as I stepped out of the shower, "Toast?" I knew it was only a small thing, but I felt my heart flutter. The fact that I got all romantic when he just offered me freaking breakfast meant I had fallen so hard for this little kitty... I shouted a reply and wandered into my room, grabbing my deodorant and spraying myself before I threw on some clothes. I was drying my hair as I walked into the kitchen, watching Kit hopping about and mumbling to himself as he retrieved the hot toast from the toaster, hissing as it touched his fingers.

"Need a hand?" He looked back at me and smiled, embarrassed at his poor toast handling skills. 

"Thanks, but I got it. It was just a little hot", his voice was like honey to my ears, and I couldn't resist draping the towel over my shoulder, so I could walk up and cuddle him with my chin on his head. 

"Who knew that toast could be hot?" I teased, turning him around in my arms to see his pouting little face. I grinned and hooked a finger under his chin, pulling him in for a long and deep kiss. When I pulled away, a look of absolute bliss coated Kit's face. His cheeks were slightly pink, and he hadn't opened his eyes, like he was savoring the moment. I reached up to his ear and rubbed along the furry edge with my thumb, slowly, to tease him. He murmured something incoherent, and I smiled, leaning down to kiss his forehead. His eyes opened, and his blush deepened, making my smile even bigger.

"You're gonna be late... Idiot.." He looked down at his bare feet, and his tail, which had wrapped itself around his leg. I took the towel from my shoulder and plopped it on his head, chuckling at his groan of protest as I wolfed down my toast. 

"I'm going to sort things today", I finished my last mouthful and Kit threw the towel into the laundry basket. "I'm going to make sure that he leaves you alone". I didn't say Blake's name, because every time I did, I felt a white hot rage course through my veins. Kit said nothing, but nodded, his eyes distant as bad memories clouded them. I kissed him goodbye and left the apartment, a sharp pain touching my heart as I heard a whimper escape his lips when I shut the door...

The drive to school was painful. Images of Kit sobbing on the sofa kept flashing through my head, making me grip the steering wheel tighter, until my knuckles turned a crippling white. I had to stay calm. I had to be rational. I had to just make it right. My plan was to have a normal conversation with Blake, to try and make him understand that my feelings for Kit were real, that every moment with him meant the world to me, and I couldn't just give him up. I loved him.