Chapter Five

Chapter Five

I hid in my dorm for the rest of the day. I fell asleep at midnight because my thoughts were so focused on how I'm going to survive another day of classes. Another day of enduring Ezra.

Everything has spiraled into chaos, and yet I forced myself to text my dad a long lie about how everything was going better than planned, and that I already made three friends, and having class with Ezra Scott wasn't as exciting as it sounds.  

Of course, 'exciting' is the wrong word for it.

I'm a horrible daughter for lying, but I also don't want my family worrying about me.

I woke up in a state of panic, as I noticed the sun was too high in the sky for my liking. It should still be slightly dark out, why is it so bright?

I grabbed my phone to check the time, and to my horror, the clock read 7:52. My class starts at 8:00. That gives me precisely eight minutes to get my ass dressed and to class before the doors lock.

I made a strange squealing noise as I jumped out of bed and ran to my closet where I grabbed the first shirt I laid eyes on and didn't bother matching it with anything but a pair of jeans that weren't the cleanest. I grabbed my bookbag off my desk, and ran out of my room. I forced myself to look at the clock again.

7:55

My heart was pounding as I ran out of the dorm building, and to the academic one where I struggled to find exactly where my locker was because I still wasn't completely used to the location. Once I found it, I grabbed my books out in record timing, and slammed it shut so hard it made a loud bang throughout the entire hall that had only a few students who were rushing to class just like me.

I moved down the corridor as fast as my legs could go, despite having my arms full of books, and my brain still half asleep.

7:58

I could see door to the classroom down the hall, relief flooded through me for only a moment until I realized the door was shutting.

No, no, no.

"Wait!" I shouted, praying Mr. Bruno would show mercy and not lock me out. He seemed to ignore me, so I took it upon myself to get in there before he accomplished his task. Unable to stop myself from running, I slammed my body into the door, surprising Mr. Bruno who was so close to shutting it, and the rest of the class who all must have been dozing off, were now alert and once again, staring at me.

I seem to be a professional at gaining attention without even trying.

Ezra was sitting at his desk, which surprised me, since I assumed he'd take advantage of his status, and be late every day. He was staring at me like I was the reincarnation of Satan, and I couldn't help but feel embarrassed.

I sulked to my desk in shame over the fact that I was the only one who was almost late for class. Of course, to get to my desk, I'd have to pass Ezra's. We glared at one another as I sauntered past, and I swear he was imagining all the million ways he could kill me right now.

"Right back at ya", I wanted to say, but didn't.

I sat at my desk, and Mr. Bruno rolled his eyes, "Need I remind you all already that I don't like tardiness? Do I have to carve it into the wall?" His eyes flickered to me, "Let's not let it happen again, Miss Brooks, alright?"

I nodded, and felt my entire body heat up in embarrassment. In all of my school years, I have never been late for class before, I've always told myself I'd never be that type of person.

I was wrong.

Eventually everyone stopped focusing on me, even though I'd still casually get glares from some of the female students because of what I did yesterday to their beloved Ezra. I managed to get through the class period without making any more stupid mistakes that causes me to end up number one on Ezra Scott's hit list.

For lunch, I avoided the cafeteria like it were the plague. I went straight to my next class, which, as I found out yesterday, Ezra didn't have with me.

Once again, the room was dark and empty, and I found solace in it as I stepped up to my desk in the back of the room and hid.

No doubt Ezra was looking for me again, if anything, he looked more pissed today than he was yesterday.

I don't know why he's holding a grudge against a nobody. I'm more of a speck in his life than anything. 

Though this speck also threw soda at him yesterday, which was wrong, I'll admit it.

I began to check through my phone, content that nobody would find me here. I realized I may be sitting here for lunch for the rest of the year, it's much more convenient than returning to my dorm, and hiding there.

I don't want to be a total hermit.

I scrolled through multiple social media pages, and conjured up multiple assumptions on why it's a good thing to not involve yourself modern day false rhetoric. All these photos of rich people I can now attest were horrifically overproduced.

As I was reading an article about 'concerning' poverty in the richest states of America, the lights of the room suddenly flickered on and my attention to my phone disintegrated.

It's too early for the teacher to be back.

"Even your choices in hiding are pathetically sad." A voice spoke, and my eyes darted to the door where Ezra Scott stood. He was practically glaring daggers at me, and I wanted to vanish all together.

Did he really come all this way from the cafeteria to punish me?

My heart dropped.

He walked into the room, "Olivia Brooks," His voice boomed with a confident malice, "we need to talk."