seventeen

..

Soon, the pair found themselves back at the top of the hill that over looked downtown Lockton. The air chilled with a soft breeze blowing towards the building below. The moon shined down through the milky clouds, sending a dim cast over everything.

"How are we supposed to find the chest from way up here?" Dray turned over her shoulder and realized her words fell flat. Wells already left, walking down the hill.

"Okay," she whispered and jogged to catch up with him. She grabbed his hand and he laced their fingers together.

"The Neighborhood Watch uses an old library as their headquarters."

Dray scrunched her nose. "They need a headquarters?" She had been under the impression it was an entirely casual thing.

"Like I said before, they're a bit different than a standard neighborhood watch program, but to draw less attention, that is what they call themselves." He pulled her to a stop as they came up to the street. "They do all the business stuff inside, so they look normal on the outside." He pointed to an old building. "That's it."

Dray scoffed. "Oh yeah, draw less attention."

The library stood at least five stories high and stuck out tall amongst the buildings around it. Large pillars showcased the front double doors, which had to be feet taller than her. The molding was dark against the rich brick with curved designs carved throughout.

They crossed the street and Wells led her around a corner, past the building, and into another park. Also on a hill, Dray realized that downtown Lockton was deep in a valley. Once they got to the top, he pulled her down under a row of bushes.

She shimmied under on her stomach, pressing her side against his. "This is quite the hideout."

Wells ignored her sass and pulled out the small pair of binoculars. He tossed them over. "Look through that window there, the open one." He pointed to a window that seemed to be as tall as the front door. It had two panes of glass that were pushed out to let in the breeze. They could see the Watch as clear as day.

The floor plan looked completely open, set up with one large table in the center. People wandered back and forth, but stayed focused on those in front. They were definitely having a meeting.

Dray squinted through the binoculars. Nash Yate and Lucy were standing at front, facing the window and the rest of the group. She tore her eyes away from them and began searching for the chest. Her sister was the last person she wanted to be looking at.

A few minutes later, she groaned. "It's not there." She elbowed Wells in the side.

"Just keep looking," he said without breaking his gaze from the room.

Dray took a second and glanced back and forth around her spot under the bushes. She pursed her lips together and made a team decision. "I'm going higher. I bet it's on a different floor." She pushed onto her forearms.