20. Look at this stuff--isn't it neat? (continued)

Sebastian was awestruck as he scuttled through the immense halls of the temple. The tour was going smoothly and attracting Ursula's fans. Cuttlemaids arrived in pairs to listen to her explain everything to the foreigner. Ganeon looked on admiringly. He was learning new things too.

Sebastian seemed especially interested in the nautiluses. He said nothing, of course, but listened with rapt attention as Ursula spoke of their significance.

"These rooms are reserved for nautili. They serve as therapists and counselors to the merfolk here. You see, Sebastian, in Atlantica we connect nautiluses to the voice. They honor our voices and make us feel heard...make us feel understood. And when events in life have silenced us, they help us find our authentic voice again." She paused to flash a smile at the little crab. "Of course, you can't talk about voices without mentioning singing. The nautili are central to our singing and music, our incantations, our storytelling. They may be small, but they are important."

Sebastian beamed at his guide.

Ursula finished the tour of the building, then asked the cuttlemaids to show Sebastian the labyrinth in the courtyard. "Prince Ganeon will meet you out there in a little while," Ursula said as she ushered them out the door.

She turned and addressed the middle prince. "May I speak to you for a moment? Without witnesses?" The merman that had trailed Ganeon in silence all afternoon shrunk at her words.

"I prefer to keep a witness with me at all times."

Ursula sighed. "I'll be your witness. Come on, you're safe in the temple. This won't take long." She hooked her arm around one of his and pulled him along before he could protest further.

"I arranged this entire thing just so I could speak to you alone," Ursula purred as they swam arm-in-arm toward the library. She expected it to be empty this time of day.

"You did?"

"Mmhmm. I need to show you something."

The library was deserted, but Ursula brought Ganeon deep into the stacks anyway. She reached under her dress—her companion fidgeting, yet failing to look away—and retrieved the knife, which she had strapped to herself.

"Alphon attacked me two nights ago with this knife. I believe it was a gift he received from humans."

Prince Ganeon gasped as he took the weapon in hand. "Are you injured? We must tell my mother at once! He must face the law. He is not above the law—"

"I'm fine at present. And I appreciate that, but I don't believe informing the Queen is the best course of action."

"Why?!"

"Alphon obviously knows I'm aiding Triton in some way. I don't want to draw anyone else's attention to that fact."

"But consider—"

"Ganeon, we can't talk for too long. I wish I could say more, but for now, look at the knife."

He did as instructed. "I knew it," he muttered. "I knew that gull was telling me the truth!"

"Yes! You were right once again!" she flattered him. "Now, tell me whether merfolk can give testimony at this hearing.

"Under special circumstances, yes."

"If I were in possession of gifts Prince Alphon received from humans, would that qualify?"

"Gifts? Do you have more of such items?"

"Not yet. But I suspect there's more where this came from, and I could get them. I've got several cuttlemaids eager to do my bidding. Did you know they can make themselves entirely invisible?"

Ganeon grinned. "This would destroy him at the hearing."

"I know."

Their voices dropped to a whisper. Ganeon described exactly where Alphon's room was in the palace. He agreed to come to the library at this time every other afternoon until Ursula met him with an update.

"No witnesses, Ganeon."

"Fine."

"And let's not tell Triton anything until we know more. No need to get his hopes up recklessly. He has enough to contend with right now."

"I agree."

"So not a word about the attack either. But please do tell him I can't meet him in two weeks to renew his protection spell. And tell him to stay away from our meeting spot. Just say Alphon is aware of the location so we can't go back there. He should come to the temple early in the morning and I'll do it there instead. It's not ideal, but it's safer."

"Very well."

They met the others in the courtyard. Sebastian bowed deeply, sincerely, before Ursula and the cuttlemaids. He and Ganeon and the nameless witness swam toward the palace.

Alma and Coraline drifted to the right of the labyrinth, and Bernhardina and Wemegreth to the left. Ursula caught up to the latter pair.

"Thank you for showing our visitor around."

"You're welcome. We are always at your service," Bernhardina said. Wemegreth looked impressed by her friend's boldness.

"Wonderful! As it happens, I have another task for you. An important one." Ursula's voice lowered conspiratorially. "A secret mission."

Their eyes widened. Wemegreth began to blanch.

"Can you keep a secret from everyone—Amoret, Ephram, your parents, everyone—if it means saving the kingdom from ruin?"

They gulped in unison and looked at one another. They were having a silent conversation. As it reached its conclusion, their mouths set into determined little lines.

"We are always at your service," Bernhardina repeated.