Chapter 31

"Eliza, we're going to be late," calls grandad the next evening.

"Coming," I respond, frantically smoothing out the creases on my lilac blouse and slipping on my flat pump shoes, before going downstairs.

"You look lovely," compliments granny, smoothing out a strand from my hair that isn't sitting right. "Only don't look so nervous, what are you worried about?"

"Nothing," I respond as I apply some lip gloss in front of the hall mirror. I notice her staring at me from behind and avoid her gaze.

"Ladies, shall we?" Grandad asks joining us, linking arms with granny.

"Absolutely," she replies, gesturing me towards the door in front of her.

My stomach is in knots and my legs are trembling as we make our way through the now intimidating grounds of Pemberley. The walk seems to last for an eternity until we reach the main entrance at the house, where my nerves reach their peak.

"Good evening everyone," the same two butlers great us from yesterday. "Let us direct you to-"

"No need, I'll bring them," reveals William suddenly who enters from around the corner, as we all look up at him in surprise.

"Very well sir," they oblige.

I stare at him in awe and my stomach drops at his presence. He looks even more handsome than usual, dressed in a blue shirt which makes his dark eyes stand out.

"Eliza," he greets me tenderly, as he takes my hand. My heart leaps and I only manage a smile in response, having lost the ability to speak.

"Mr and Mrs Gardiner, wonderful to meet you," he next addresses to them.

"And you," they respond. "It's a pleasure to be here," remarks granny.

He leads us into a huge grand dining room which has a beautiful view overlooking the front lake, where his sister and uncle are already seated. After greeting them, we take our seats and William sits next to me, much to my unease and desire.

However, over the course of dinner my negative feelings significantly begin to subside as I find myself able to relax in his company, therefore enjoying myself immensely. All my remaining doubts about his character have disappeared, and I am filled with hope that we could work things out together. I finally realise that I don't have to run away from my problems, I have to accept my mistakes and I will apologise to William whenever I get a private moment with him. William loves me, and I love him; there is no reason for me to reject him anymore.

I feel light as though a heavy weight has been lifted from my shoulders and happier than I have in months after my epiphany moment. Following our meal, we all relocate to the drawing room where William invites me to share a sofa in the corner of the room with him. Granny and grandad sit together with William's uncle Edward in the other corner, while Georgiana plays a soft melody on the grand piano.

"Thank you for coming tonight, it means a lot to me," he emphasises.

"No thank you, we've had a great time," I reply gratuitously.

He looks taken aback by my genuine response, before apprehension flashes in his eyes as he lightly probes,

"The job is still yours if you want it."

"I would like that very much," I reveal, meeting his warm gaze. He looks relieved and very happy with my decision, as he stares back at me in surprise.

His expressions then take a serious turn, as he says to me with sincerity, "I'm so sorry for the way I behaved towards you previously, please forgive my pride."

I'm surprise but pleased by his apology, which I accept gratefully. "It's fine, thank you for apologising."

"William," I begin again, "There's something else that I'd like to..." I say before I am interrupted by my phone ringing from my pocket.

"Oh, it's Jane," I point out, rejecting the call and placing it back inside. "I'll ring her back later."

However, the phone rings again straight away, causing me to reconsider as Jane rarely calls more than once at a time. "I'm sorry," I apologise to William, standing up. "I must take this," to which he agrees, "Absolutely."

"Hello?" I press the phone to my ear, curiously waiting to hear what Jane has to say while standing outside the room.

"Eliza," Jane pleads in a desperate tone that shocks me. "You must come home immediately!"

"Why?" I panic as I am instantly filled with dread, my mother's cries audible in the background. "What ever is the matter?!"

After Jane delivers the terrible and disturbing news, I shakily return back inside.

"What's wrong?" William gasps, standing up from his seat.

"Eliza dear, are you alright?" I hear granny enquire.

"It's Lydia," I gulp. "She's gone missing."

A/N: Thank you guys for 13k!!!😘😘😘