Chapter 24

It had been a week since the big fight. Spot had tried to keep everything running smoothly, but for the first time he could remember, his boys were scared.

They didn't say it of course, but they didn't stay out late anymore. Everyone was back at the lodge by six. They kept quiet, only talking quietly in small groups.

They were all waiting for the day Hook came back and claimed Brooklyn as his own. Truthfully, Spot was too.

Hook had won, though not exactly fair and square, and he technically had the right to take over the borough.

"I'm the King of Brooklyn," Spot told himself. "He can't take it from me!"

He tried his best to sound strong. If he didn't seem sure about it, then neither would the boys and it would be that much easier to lose control.

"Here's what wese gonna do," Spot told Race one evening after the boys had disappeared up to bed. "When Hook comes back, wese gonna surprise him. We'll beat him, throw him out, and he won't bother us no more."

"I think you should just throw him off the bridge, he won't bother no one after that," Race stated darkly.

"Where'd that come from?" Spot asked, scrutinizing his friend.

Race shrugged. "Long day. Plus, Dimples still ain't said a word."

Spot sighed as he thought about the young boy. Dimples hadn't talked at all since he learned about his brother's death. He sold papers, then came back to the lodge and laid in bed until he fell asleep.

"He'll be fine," Spot said.

"You sure?"

"Ise seen tons of kids go through stuff like this Race, and I know you has too. He'll be fine. We all is."

"Spot, is this about your brother?"

"What are youse talkin' about?" Spot asked seriously, ignoring the mention of the brother he'd never really known. "Tony, you know that youse my only brother."

"If that's how you feel right now, we won't talk about it," Race said, getting up from his chair.

"You goin' to bed?"

"Yeah, figure I'd get some sleep so I ain't sleepin' in the streets tomorrow. You comin' too?"

"Yeah, I'll be up soon," Spot said, though he didn't move a muscle.

"Okay," Race hesitated on the steps. "Good night."

"G'night," Spot responded, still staring at the wall.

Race waited a minute, then turned and climbed the rest of the staircase, disappearing from view.

***

"Hey Jo, you okay?" Specs asked as the boys waited in line for their papers.

"Yeah, I'm fine," he nodded.

Specs watched him warily. "You sure?"

"Why wouldn't I be?" Jojo asked, feigning ignorance.

"You don't wanna talk? Fine, you don't have to. I was just tryin' to make sure youse alright," Specs replied as though it didn't matter whether Jojo answered or not.

"He's alright. Spot would've told us if he had...y'know."

"Yeah, he would have," Specs agreed.

"I don't need him here, I'm fine on my own."

"I know you are."