Epilogue

Even though Jack was exhausted and all the other boys were celebrating back at the lodge, he remembered what he'd told Katherine and he headed over to visit her as soon as it was a decent time.

He stood nervously on her doorstep, debating about whether or not he should knock. He'd given her a ring! How stupid was he? She wouldn't want to marry him! He didn't even have a proper job yet. And he hadn't exactly asked her father yet, though he planned to.

Jack finally built up the courage to knock, but a part of him hoped she wouldn't answer yet. Mike had died and he didn't know if he could handle anymore bad news.

Katherine swung the door open and stared at him in surprise. "Jack! You're here!"

"I said I'd be, didn't I?" He responded carefully.

"Yes, you did. I just thought that you wouldn't come until later."

"I didn't want you to worry."

"Jack, we need to talk."

"About what?" Jack asked nervously.

"The gift you left me."

There it was. He had made a mistake. She wasn't ready yet and now she thought he was crazy.

"I'm sorry about that, I know it was a bad idea. And I'm sorry that the ring's so old and dirty. It was my mother's and I wanted you to have it, but I'll get it polished up! Or I'll get you a new one! I'll save up and buy you a really nice one with a diamond on it!"

Hearing that the ring had been his mother's made Katherine love it even more and she shook her head. She didn't want a new one.

Jack, however, misread the sign and sighed. His shoulders dropped as his heart sank in his chest.

"If you even want to marry me at all. I can understand if you don't."

"What are you talking about?" Katherine gasped. "Of course I want to marry you!"

"You do? This ain't some joke?" Jack clarified.

Katherine shook her head and smiled. "Of course it's not! I love you."

Jack grinned and pulled her in for a kiss, then quickly released her again. "We're gonna get married!"

"Yes we are," Katherine laughed.

"Now you gotta be completely certain that this is what you want Plumber. Once you marry me, wese stuck together forever," Jack warned jokingly.

"I don't have to think about it, I already know that I want to spend my whole life with you, Kelly."

"For sure?" Jack grinned.

"For sure."

***

The second Spot stepped through the door he was knocked back as Dimples ran up to him, throwing his tiny arms around Spot's waist.

"Youse came back!" Dimples sobbed. "Youse really back!"

"Course I am," Spot whispered. "I told ya I would be."

"I didn't believe you," Dimples muttered guiltily.

"That's okay," Spot reassured. "But remember, I ain't ever gonna lie to you."

"I'm glad you're back. I missed you."

Spot picked Dimples up, ignoring all of his boys who were watching curiously as they went upstairs to bed.

"I wish you was my brother too," Dimples whispered.

"Hey, why can't I be? Didn't you say that a brother don't have to be related, 'long as he cares about ya?"

"Yeah, I guess," Dimples sniffed. "But I don't know if you likes me enough to be my brother."

"Of course I do! I'd be honored to be your brother."

Dimples smiled. "I loves ya Spot!"

Spot didn't even hesitate. "I love you too, Charlie."

***

"Jack? Jack! Wake up!"

Jack forced his eyes open and blinked groggily at Specs. "What is it?"

"Elmer. He's been up for twenty minutes, just sobbin'. I can't get him to calm down."

Jack climbed out of the bed and crossed the room to Elmer's bunk. He had to pass the empty beds once used by the twins. The top bunk was unmade, no one had the heart to change the bed from how Mike had left it.

"Elmer, youse alright?"

Elmer startled at Jack's voice, the faced him with a small shrug. "I'll be fine."

"What happened? Another nightmare?"

Elmer nodded, Jack could tell his face was glowing pink even in the dark.

"There ain't nothin' wrong with that," Jack said. "Wanna tell me what it was about?"

"Not really," Elmer mumbled. "I don't like thinkin' about it. We was gettin' hurt, real hurt. Like Mike and Ike."

Jack sighed sadly. Lots of the boys had been having dreams like this recently and he wished there was a way that he could stop them.

"We're all fine. Just look around, what do you see?"

"Nothin', it's too dark."

Jack rolled his eyes, a small smile crossing his lips. "Well I came from the other side of the room and ya know what I saw?"

"What?"

"I saw everybody sleepin' in their beds, just like theyse supposed to. We're all here. The thing with the Bronx? It's over. They're done hurtin' us."

Jack wrapped an arm around Elmer's shoulder as he talked. "You don't need to worry 'bout nothin' anymore. Wese all gonna be okay."

Elmer nodded, repeating it softly to help convince himself.

"We're all gonna be okay."

***

The end!!!!

I hope you guys liked reading this as much I liked writing it!

When I started this, I honestly didn't even expect anyone to read it, but I was wrong. Thank you to everyone who's read and supported this story, whether from the beginning or just recently. Either way, I'm glad I could share this with you and I'm thankful for all of the encouragement.

This is the longest work I've ever written. Because I used chapter word goals, I've been adding up all the words in this book and have written a grand total of 77,352 words-about 172 pages in a book. It's also long enough to be considered a novel!

Anyways, thanks again for reading, and keep your eyes out for some more Newsies stuff... I'll keep you updated.

Thank you sooo much,
-Anna