Chapter 3

"Simon," I called, "Hey! Simon! Where are you going?"

Clary appeared by my side. "You can't leave!"

"Let's get out of here, just you, Sam and me," Simon begged. "We can get Dot ourselves."

"Simon, there are demons out there, okay? Actual demons with tentacles that want to murder us," Clary tried to reason.

"Do you know how to kill a demon?" I asked sarcastically.

"I'm an Internet search away," he responded without hesitation.

"Simon, I really don't think it's that simple," Clary said.

"I bet you it's not that hard."

"Simon, the institute is the safest place for us to be right now. If we have any hope of finding our mom, then we first of all need to be alive," I reasoned.

Isabelle walked through the middle of out small cluster and I turned to see her open the wall of weapons, only to have Jace quickly smack her hand away.

Isabelle sighed, "Fifty bucks says he doesn't approve this mission."

Alec walked across the room and stood behind me. "I don't approve this mission." Isabelle looked at me with an I told you so smirk and I grinned before Alec continued, "I spoke with the Clave. They're sending Seelie scouts to search for Valentine, but they made it clear, the little girl does not leave the premises," he pointed down at Clary and before I could say anything cheeky he turned back to me and added, "you either."

Clary looked offended, "Hey, my name is not 'little girl', okay? I don't care what that Clave thing or you want, I'm going to find Dot," She said, stubborn as ever. We'd found out that Dot was a warlock and that she could possibly have the answers - or at least some of them - that we need.

Before Alec could say anything else to Clary, Jace spoke. "Alec, this warlock could have the answers we need. With Valentine's people out there searching for Clary and Samara, they're not safe outside alone."

"Jace has a point," Isabelle agreed.

"You too, Izzy? All right," he turned to Clary with an unimpressed look and an irritated tone, "Since you have all the answers, where do you suggest we search?"

Clary thought for a moment, playing with her necklace that our mom had given her. "We should start at Dot's apartment in Greenpoint, and there's this thrift store that she-" suddenly she gasped and her body went rigid, hand clasped tightly around the glowing purple stone around her neck

"What's wrong? What is it?" Jace asked, concerned.

"I, um, weirdly, I think I know where Dot is," Clary replied with a small frown.

Simon pulled his keys out of his pocket. "Great. I'll drive." Everyone looked at him skeptically. "What? Unless you have, like, a Shadowhunter-mobile or something." He suddenly looked down and realised he was standing on the training room floor and added, "You were kidding about the runes on the floor killing me right?"

Jace smirked, "Possibly."

Everybody started walking away and Simon scrambled to keep up. "Wait am I gonna die?"

Nobody answered him but we all piled into his van. Simon, Clary and Isabelle in the front, me Jace and Alec in the back. I of course, being the smallest, was shoved into the middle seat, which usually wouldn't have been an issue - had the two boys on either side of me been normal sized. Alec was 6'2 and Jace had extremely broad shoulders. So I was half on top of both of them. Alec pulled something out of his pocket and held it out to me.