7 - Hero

The pain in my chest only grew. I gasped, the hurt mixing with the crawling feel of the man's hands. It was a kind of feeling that couldn't be described with words. It was a monstrous, skittering fear that made me want to die rather than go through this. Flora still hadn't come back, and I was terrified something might have happened to her.

The back of my head accidentally knocked into the brick wall behind me. A sharp pain elicited from the spot, filling my brain with a low growling. Seconds ticked by, yet the sound still roared in my ears. It took me a heart-stopping moment to realize that the strange man had stopped touching me, and was looking over his shoulder. I panicked, grabbing my pounding head and looking for a way out.

Fight.

I don't know where the voice came from, but I heard the word loud and clear as if someone had shouted it in my ear. Fight. I would fight. I was raised to fight back, I wouldn't give in. With complete desperation, I lifted my knee up hard and caught the man between his legs. He screamed and grabbed his crotch, moving away instantly and howling in pain. Shocked, I edged my way out while the men were distracted by their friend. 

"She's not alone, Mark." I heard a gruff voice whisper. "This isn't worth it, let's get out of here."

Panic gripped my chest as one of the men turned their head sharply and glared at me. I was so close. I couldn't let them destroy me or Flora. To hell with them, desperate times call for desperate measures. It was with the suprise that the man actually let go of me that I could move. That maybe I did have a chance to save myself. I couldn't live the rest of my life knowing I could have gotten out of this mess without being stolen of something precious. 

With another shocking moment, I also began to realize that I wasn't the only one who was hearing the strange growling.

"Victoria!" a voice called. It was sweet and high, with the likeliness of a child. They moved away, muttering something to each other. Flora suddenly came running from around the corner. I pushed myself away from the man, and for some reason, he paid no mind to me. I shrunk into the shadows and clutched Flora tightly as she ran into my arms, sobbing.

Sweat and tears slicked down my flushed face. I stumbled back until there was a safe distance between myself and the disgusting pigs. It was only when we had hidden safely near a trashcan when I noticed why the men had been so willing to suddenly set me free.

Something white was illuminated against the dipping moonlight, something large and angry and familiar. Even though Flora and I were a safe distance away, even my little sister could hear the growls. Anyone near a one-mile radius could have heard it, it was that loud. 

Lucian.

His wolf form cornered the man. Behind him, I could make out two other slightly smaller brown wolves. They were fighting with the rest. Two of the drunken men lay in bloody heaps on the wet ground. I could make out the small lumps from the distance. Lucian's helpers taunted the last man alive. I picked up Flora and safely tucked her head into my shoulder as the two brown wolves finally delved into the man. A disgusting thud of flesh hitting the ground could be heard. Even though they were bad men, even though they had threatened my life and Flora's, a flash of pity ran through me.

The two brown wolves moved back and watched Lucian. His sleek white form was bright against the darkness. I could make out distinct whimpers and a low growling. The man was seemingly begging for his life. Lucian had him backed up against the brick wall, but managed to move out in time as Lucian lunged for him.

He staggered out from the corner, begging. The moonlight behind him illuminated a nasty bite on his shin. I could make out the little ripples of flesh hanging out, the blood making a little wet splash as it continuously dripped down. I almost wished Lucian would leave him like that instead of giving him death; it would seem like a mercy at this point.