I Am Reese

I Am Reese 

Chapter One- I Am Moving

"And when I went to pay, she didn't give me my change! She just 'assumed' that it was a tip. And I was like 'assuming makes an ass out of you and me.' But I didn't actually say that, I was just like 'keep it.' "

Nope. I'm not talking to a family member or a "BFF."  I'm talking to a camera. And the only person that was meant to watch this video was myself, but that definitely didn't happen. About a million people are going to watch this video, and that's what made all the difference.

Okay, let's rewind and I'll tell you my story. It all started with the simple words, "We're moving."

"What!" I exclaimed and slammed my hands on the table, pushing back my chair and standing up. "We just got here!"

"You've lived here your whole life," my mom said bluntly.

"So," I mumbled, not daring to say it loud enough for my parents to hear. "I want to spend the rest of my life here too."

"This can be great! You can have your last year of high school in South Carolina-" my dad started, but I cut him off. 

"Exactly! Everyone's already acquainted themselves. I'll be a loner."

"You'll have the whole summer to meet new people," he added. "Just give it a chance, you might like it." He gave me a pleading look and I almost broke. Almost.

"I think it would be cool to move," my twelve year old sister, Lace, piped up.

I shot her a glare. "You are not helping."

"I don't like you," she stated. At this point in time, she's going through that phase when you think that you're too cool for anything and you want to disagree with anyone, so basically being a female dog all the time.

"Be nice," my mom scolded like a typical mother.

"When are we leaving?" I asked and sighed. There was no point in arguing when the truth was inevitable. I was leaving my beloved NYC for boring South Carolina.

"In a week and a half," she answered.

"What!" I exclaimed for the second time that day. "How are we gonna pack everything up by then?"

"We've already started, haven't you noticed the stuff disappearing?" Dad said.

I looked around the living room and saw that he was right. Little things were gone, like vases, decorations. The whole rug. How had I not noticed that before? I need to start paying attention to my surroundings. That skill would help me later on in life.

"Huh," I said to myself.

"Start packing!" My mom said and stood up. "This is gonna be a great change!"

 ***

"And this is your new home!" My mom cheerfully stated. She dropped her bags and went further into the house.

After a fourteen hour drive, only stopping for food and the restroom, I was surprised at how upbeat my mother seemed. She had driven for six of those hours. I, on the other hand, had not driven any but my foot was asleep and I wanted to kill everyone.

I hate car trips.

I looked around, taking in the sight before me. This place was beautiful. It had a lot of room and windows that made it look even bigger. I didn't want to admit, but I liked the sound of "house" instead of "apartment." And if what dad said was true, I wouldn't be sharing a room with Lace anymore. That was a definite bonus.