26

Amelia

Everyone surrounds Alex, staring and whispering, asking how he is as he passes them. News got out about him being stabbed and it's all people have been talking about.

I have no idea why Alex is even back at school so early. It only happened a month ago after all. Who in their right mind would want to get back to school as soon as they can?

Standing at my locker, I watch him walk with Santiago through the corridor. He's definitely walking different. I don't remember ever paying attention to the way Alex walked, but somehow I know it's completely different. He's probably still in pain. His eyes search the corridor, ignoring the girls who are trying to talk to him which is pretty rude, until his eyes meet mine.

My heart stops when he looks at me, and for a couple of seconds we stare at each other, until I gather enough willpower to close my locker shut and walk in the other direction. Go me.

At the start of math, i'm chatting away with Red about Mr. Aarons's shoes as Red likes to call them 'Peter pointers' when someone stands in front of our table. I look up, shocked to find it's Alex.

"Hi," is all he says and I stare at him in disbelief. Why the hell is he talking to me after he seemed to freaking hate me last month?

"Hey, Alex," Red says when I don't speak. "Heard you got stabbed. That's pretty bad-ass."

Alex doesn't look at him, he just clenches his jaw. "I need to talk to you."

"I have nothing to say to you." I open my math book, looking down at it so I don't have to look him in the eye when I lie.

"Please, 'Melia. Can you just hear me out?"

"No. Do you just want to use me again?"

"I was never using you-"

"Is this boy harassing you, Amelia?" Aarons says, standing next to Alex with his arms crossed.

"Can you stay out of this, old man?"

Aarons glowers at him, uncrossing his arms slowly. "How about you take yourself down to the principals office?"

"Why? 'Cause I stated what you are? Just trying to remind you that she's eighteen and you're definitely not."

"Get out of my class," he raises his voice and I raise my damn eyebrows. Alex needs to get himself a filter.

"Gladly." Alex turns around and storms out of the class, slamming the door shut so hard that the walls shake.

"That boy needs an attitude adjustment. It was kind of nice not having him in my class for that month," Aarons laughs, and I furrow my eyebrows, feeling the need to defend Alex.

"That's kinda insensitive considering he was in hospital and could be dead right now. Would you have been glad if he did die?"

"Don't put words in my mouth, Amelia. It's you i'm looking out for."

"I don't need looking out for, especially over Alex."

"Maybe you do. Boys like him only want one thing." He's right about that.

"And what's that?" I know what it is but I would quite enjoy watching him trip up over himself.

He shifts, fixing himself. "I just wouldn't want to see you get hurt by a stupid teenage boy who has no values but himself."

He couldn't be more wrong. I stand up from my seat. "He's not stupid." Maybe he is but only I can say that. "And he's the most caring person you'll ever meet. Obviously you know nothing about that though." I throw my bag over my shoulder and pick up my books, walking to the door. I can't believe I just said that.