Chapter 26

The next morning, Lilly sat on the examination table as she waited for the nurse and doctor. She held her breath as the good looking doctor walked in.
She smiled as she sat up straight. "Lillian Chase?"

Lilly nodded as he said her name.

"It says here that you are mute?" Lilly's smile eased as she nodded her head again. The young doctor looked up as he smiled, "I'm Dr. Christopher Donovan. I'll be examining you today."

Lilly's smile returned as she shook his hand.

She watched as Dr. Donavan placed his stethoscope in his ears and pressed it against her chest, "Deep breath."
Lilly did so, but wrinkled her brow as he stayed over her heart. She was surprised to see him sign to her with a concerned look on his face, "What medications are you taking for your heart?"

Lilly put on a brave face as she signed back.

"Do you have any with you?" Dr.Donovan's face did not ease.

Lilly shook her head as she signed, "No."

Dr. Donovan turned to his nurse for immediate instructions for Lilly's meds.

Lilly shook her head as she sighed, "No! They are extremely expensive. I can't pay for them."

Dr. Donovan patted her hand, "Its ok Lilly, its covered by the donations here."

Lilly hung her head but looked back up to smile.

After two weeks, Lilly had begun to feel at ease in her new surroundings. Every weekend, donated items would come in to the shelter. Sometimes, the donations would be brand new with the tags still on them. Lilly shifted through a box and was amazed to find a practically brand new Nikon D5600. She quickly picked it up to examine it. Lilly frowned as she saw the present label still on it.

"Found a new hobby?"

Lilly slowly turned to the voice behind her.

Dr. Donovan was biting his lip as he smiled at her. Lilly looked back down to the camera then shook her head as she put it back down.

"Oh, why not?" Dr. Donovan reached and picked up the treasure. "Say cheese ."

Lilly smiled as she rolled her eyes and tried to block the leans with her hand.

"Would you like to have this?" Dr. Donovan gave her a friendly questionable look.

Lilly fumbled with her fingers before she sighed, "Yes, but I can't ask you to do that."

Dr. Donovan nodded towards the checkout table for her to follow him. He gladly paid the $50.00 for it and handed it to her.

Lilly sighed, "Ill pay you back."

"Sure ya will, as soon as you get your first paycheck as a professional photographer." Dr. Donovan couldn't contain his smile.

Lilly nodded as shook his strong hand.

It was a month later until Lilly wrote to her family to let her know of her safety. She missed them terribly, but loved her new independence. She also wrote Allen to release him of any feelings that he might still have. She just wanted him to be happy. Lilly had no plans of returning soon, this was a choice of her own. As Allen finished reading it, he crumpled it in his hand. His chest heaved with anger. He bolted down the stairs past his mother, "Allen? Are you alright dear?"

He didn't answer, he had only one thing on his mind. Allen would find as many women as he could until she was out of his mind. No matter how long it took.