Chapter 4

"Has she woken up yet?" I could hear somebody. My ears were ringing.

"No, I told you, I would tell you as soon as she did," another voice replied.

I heard a frustrated sigh and footsteps getting further away.

I could hear, but I couldn't see. I couldn't move either and started to panic. My body felt trapped, like I was in some sort of cage. After what felt like a lifetime but could only have been a few minutes, I managed to open my eyes, and instantly, the invisible bounds that seemed to be restricting me before, melted away. Everything was blurry and it took a moment to focus. I could see a figure with dark hair in the corner, who jumped up and hurried over as soon as I attempted to sit myself up.

"You had us all so worried!" Isabelle sighed as she helped me sit up. "I've never seen Alec like that."

"Alec? What happened?" I asked.

"What do you remember?" She asked kindly.

"I- I'm not really sure," I said, frowning, trying to draw a picture from her mind but only coming up with blanks.

"Well all I know is you and Alec went into the City of Bones and he returned holding you, unconscious, in his arms, yelling at us for help, and shouting that it was all Clary's fault," Isabelle replied. "Speaking of, I told him I'd let him know when you woke up so I'll be back in just a second, will you be okay?" She added, a little hesitant to leave.

I nodded and waved her away, and she walked quickly from the room. I stood up, a little unsteady, and made my way over to the window, trying to remember what had happened. The last thing I could think of was losing Dot. I remembered going into Pandemonium but I couldn't remember coming out. It was like everything just stopped when we found that she wasn't there.

I opened the window, letting the cool air wash over me, settling my rising anxiety over the situation. I didn't like not knowing things. I wondered if Alec was okay, he'd gone down with me Isabelle said, if I was in this state, what happened to him? Why was only one of us affected? She'd said he carried me out, but that didn't necessarily mean he was okay.

Heavy footsteps approaching the room snapped me out of my haze and I turned to face the door just as Alec, Jace, Isabelle and Clary burst through.

"What happened?"

"Are you okay?"

"Don't ever do that again!"

As soon as my eyes zeroed on Alec's face, something in the back of my mind clicked. I gasped as the memories flooded me with a jolt.

My mother took my memories.

She lied to us for eighteen years.

Valentine was our father.

"Do you remember something?" Isabelle asked gently. I nodded with wide eyes. I felt sick and I could tell my face had gone pale.

"I remember going down, because Clary didn't want to, I remember the sword, I remember what I saw," I responded weakly.

"What did you see? Do you know where the cup is?" Clary asked.

I shook my head, eyes welling up with tears. "Clary, she lied to us. About our father."

"What? What about our father? He died when we were little." My sister looked at me like I was crazy. Maybe I was, but I doubted that the Silent Brothers would have planted a false memory in my head.

I shook my head again. "Clary, Valentine is our father."

The silence that settled was deafening. Jace's eyes went wide, Isabelle's jaw dropped, Clary was shaking her head, speechless and in denial, but Alec, Alec's eyes turned dark. He frowned for a few moments before shaking his head and storming from the room.