Chapter Twenty-Eight:

Ruka (1)

"Walking stinks!"

I sighed, "Told ya."

"How do people go anywhere without a flying bison?"

"Well I don't know Aang. Why don't you ask Sokka's instincts? They seem to know everything." Katara mocked.

Sokka rolled his eyes, "Haha. Very funny."

"I'm tired of carrying this pack." Aang whined.

Katara raised her brows with a smile, "You know who you should ask to carry it for awhile? Sokka's instincts!"

Aang grinned, "That's a great idea! Hey, Sokka's instincts, would you mind-?"

"Okay, okay. I get it. Look guys, I'm tired too. But the important thing is that we're safe from the... Fire... Nation."

As we walked passed some bushes, on the other side, there was a huge group of Fire Nation soldiers.

"Run!"

We all dropped our packs and tried to go back the way we came, but one of the soldiers threw out a flame that made the bushes behind us go up in flames.

"We're cut off!" Sokka said. I pulled on the end of his shirt, "Your arms on fire you idiot!"

Sokka looked over to it and yelped. Katara bended some water out from her water skin and put out the flame from his shirt. She quickly put back the water in the skin afterwards.

Sokka pulled Katara and I behind him and Aang. Her, Aang, I got into our fighting stances while Sokka stood up straighter to make himself look more tough. "If you let us pass, we promise not hurt you!"

"What are you doing?" Katara whispered to him. "Yeah bone head." I added.

"Bluffing." Sokka said lowly.

"You promise not to hurt us?" A soldier said. Suddenly, he fell face first to the floor unconsciously.

"Nice work Sokka!" Aang smiled. "How'd you do that?"

"Uh," Sokka shrugged, "Instincts?"

Katara pulled on the sleeve of my shirt and pointed up to a tree, "Look!"

We all turned our heads and a young man around my age was up on the branch of the tree Katara was pointing at. He whipped out two hook swords and used those to swiftly jump down, knocking two of the soldiers out when landing.

With the hook swords, he grabbed one foot from each of another duo of soldiers and flipped them over. When he landed with no struggle, he smirked, "Down you go."

I looked at him with my hand on my chin, "Impressive."

One of the soldiers looked up and widened his eyes, "They're in the trees!"

"What...?" I followed where he was looking and a small boy jumped on the soldier's shoulders. Another young man shot arrows down from the branch he was sitting on. He hung upside down and shot two more arrows at the soldier's swords, knocking them out of their hands.