Chapter 104

"Keep it in the car," Sumer Singh told the guard who was lifting the bag.

Nandini thanked the hulking man courteously. She had tried to convince Sumer Singh she could carry the bag herself, but he had refused to consider it.

The guard bowed and marched away.

Nandini diffidently said, "Sumer uncle, I want to meet Uday grandpa before leaving."

"It would distress him if you didn't," Sumer Singh smiled.

Nandini felt relieved. Uday Singh was a genuinely cool-headed and endearing person. Prithvi's prolonged absence yesterday had not disturbed him apparently, and the news of last night's altercation – which had somehow spread through the palace, as evident from Kadambari's aloofness since morning - had not irked the elderly man.

"Prithvi might be in his room though," Sumer Singh added.

"Oh...would it be possible for me to speak to grandpa alone," she mumbled.

Sumer Singh didn't bat an eyelid. "Certainly," he said sympathetically, then guardedly said, "Prithvi says he had gone for a walk in the hills last evening and lost his way."

"Okay," Nandini said placidly as they started walking away from her room.

Accepting failure, Sumer Singh fell silent.

"Sumer uncle, I hope you're not upset with me."

Sumer Singh paused and looked at the pale young girl in surprise. "Upset? Nandini, you don't know what you've done for the family - and me. I know it has been very difficult for you...and I will forever be grateful. And you're not in the wrong. Don't let anyone make you feel guilty. Alright?" he said sternly, and stroked her head caringly.

Immensely touched and comforted, Nandini gave him a watery smile, and they continued on their way. Then she stopped again. In a short corridor on the left side, Kadambari was disapprovingly examining the dust embedded in the carvings on a stone pillar.

"Don't do it, Nandini," Sumer Singh warned. "That woman is waiting for a chance to show her annoyance."

"I know, but I can't leave without saying goodbye," Nandini whispered ruefully.

Kadambari continued her inspection of the complex patterns as Nandini drew nearer, and then brusquely asked, "You're leaving then?"

"Yes, aunty," Nandini said softly. "I've kept the clothes and jewellery in the wardrobe. The sandals have been placed near the door." Then she touched Kadambari's feet, and received murmured blessings. When she stood up, the older woman was scrutinising her.

Kadambari wondered at the needlessly strong ache in her chest. Surely her indignation at the ill-treatment of Prithvi was deeper than any affection she had for the girl...wasn't it...

"I was told you had two pieces of toast for breakfast," she said austerely. "That will not sustain you till lunch. And who knows what they'll serve in that house," she snorted. "I think you should eat something before leaving."

"I'm not hungry," Nandini said in a small voice.

"Alright. Who am I to force you?" Kadambari sniffed. "Be safe. Don't be careless there. Lock the doors to your room at night and – and you've carried your phone, haven't you?"

"It's in the bag."

Kadambari eyed her beadily. "You should keep the phone with you, not include it in your luggage."