CHAPTER TWENTY-EIGHT: OBLIVION (6/6)

Worm retrieved her X1 suit from the Pegasus before the courier ship departed. They pulled free from the freighter, leaving its empty shell trapped within Astrid's web of harpoon cables. Captain Mack wanted to try and return it to Xeo, but Astrid backed Worm up in saying it would never survive the landing. Since the only other two choices were to leave it behind or destroy it, Captain Mack agreed to let it go.

The crew of seven crammed into the small cockpit to watch as Astrid released her harpoons, abandoning the Pegasus into space where it would drift forever, perfectly preserved in death. Captain Mack said a few words before the courier ship turned away and the Pegasus disappeared from view. Though it was just a ship, Kas felt a pang of sadness at its loss and knew Captain Mack must have felt a hundred times worse.

The rest of the journey progressed relatively quickly, and after twenty hours, the blue dot which was Lysan blossomed out of the darkness like a speck of water in a desert.

'There she is,' Mack said, gazing out of the viewport.

'I forgot how blue it was,' Pari muttered.

'Are those ships...?' Mantana asked. They'd expected a big queue, but the number of ships in orbit appeared to have doubled since Kas had last seen it.

'Good thing we're not queuing,' she said. 'I guess we'd better go take our seats.' She exited the cockpit with everybody else in tow and headed for the back of the ship. She, Worm and Mantana had all donned their space suits and were carrying their helmets under their arms. They arrived by an open hatch in the floor that dropped down into the escape pod.

'Are we absolutely sure this thing's safe?' Mantana asked for the hundredth time.

'The pod is in excellent condition,' Astrid reassured him. 'In fact, you are statistically much more likely to die on board the ship than you are inside the capsule.'

'Thanks, Astrid,' Mack said. 'That's great to know.'

President Mantana said goodbye to everyone before putting on his helmet and climbing down into the capsule. Worm did the same, leaving Kas to go last.

'Have a safe trip,' she said as she shook each of their hands.

'You too,' Sudds replied.

'Safe trip,' Pari echoed.

Beak just nodded.

'Take it easy, Balera,' Mack said. 'I think I'm actually going to miss you.'

'I think I'm actually going to miss you too,' Kas smiled sadly, realising she meant it. She pulled on her own helmet.

'Keep that kid safe,' Mack added.

'Don't worry about the kid; I think it's the president who needs his hand held.' The crew laughed as Kas climbed down into the pod. She grabbed the hatch door and pulled it over as she descended. With one last look at Captain Mack, she let it shut and locked it tight.

The pod was quiet and small, barely big enough to jump across. It was a cylinder with rounded walls and circumferential seating. Worm and President Mantana had already buckled themselves in facing one another, the X1 suit was seated between them, strapped in tight. Kas sat down opposite it and secured her restraints. She glanced at Mantana who was staring at the floor with wide eyes as sweat beaded his face.

'We're ready, Astrid,' she said.

'I hope you have a safe journey,' Astrid replied from the walls. 'I have programmed the pod to land just south of Sevine.'

'We appreciate it. When will I see you again?'

'I'm not sure. I will leave one of my X1's behind outside Lysan so that, once the President has made it to the embassy, he can summon me to land.'

'You're not escorting us down?' Mantana asked.

'An X1 fighter escorting an escape pod to surface might invoke a panic amongst those in orbit. I will wait until you contact me.'

'Oh. OK.'

'Are you ready?'

They all nodded. The pod's lighting suddenly turned from white to red and the three passengers lifted in their seats as the pod's gravity diminished.

'Goodbye,' Astrid said, and the capsule jolted as it detached from the ship.