Promise

The fall quickly turned into winter. Siri watched the snow fall down around the palace from her bedroom window. And she could see the servants working hard to shovel the snow on the pathway. There were dozens of them working at the same time so there could clear the path quickly so they could go back inside to warm up.

Lately there was a nagging feeling inside her heart. As if the clicking of time was telling her that she didn't have much time left. She has lived in this dimension for three years and those three years, she had the Spirit of Coldness inside of her. She only has a little less than seven years left.

"Your Highness." Meada said as she looked up from the embroidery that was in her hands. "Is there something the matter?"

"I'm going for a walk." Siri said as she quickly stood up. "No one needs to attend me. It'll just make you guys freeze your feet off."

"But---" Meada began to say. "King Ryu---"

"Fine!" Siri snapped. She felt the walls closing in on her slowly. "But hurry. And stay far behind me."

Siri left with Meada and Gilldy quickly grabbing their fur coats and wearing their boots before running after their mistress. They have seen and felt a change in her for the past few days and they were worried. They thought it her ill moods was caused because of the weather and would pass by like the snow. So they just paid more attention to Siri's mood swings and endured whenever Siri wasn't being herself.

Siri walked her way on the icy path until she got to the pond. She walked the bridge that would bring her to the middle of the lake where the pavilion stood. She stood by the pillar and watched the frozen scenery before her.

Her lungs finally felt like it could breath. As if she wasn't so confined. As if she could stop thinking about time itself.

Siri didn't know how long she stood there. But it was long enough that Meada and Gilldy's chattering teeth broke through her daze. Her small respite was broken and a sense of how much time she had left came back to the forefront of her mind.

"Let's go back." Siri said softly. "I'm sorry I yelled at you Meada. But I did warn you I would be out here for a long time."

"It is this servant that stepped out of line." Meada said as they quickly made their way back inside.

When they reached the house again, Siri dismissed Meada and Gilldy so they could warm up in their rooms. Rose and the Nurses could serve her in the meantime. But before they left, she gave them a cold medicine elixir just in case they did catch an illness.

Back inside her painting and music room, Siri was preparing to paint, but nothing inspired her at the moment to paint, so instead she started writing. She was writing goodbye letters to everyone that she held dear.

There was one letter to all the maids and the Nurses. There was a letter to Steward Mo, Master Teacher Taiyou, the men who were her guards. The guards that helped Ryu the most during his time in the wheelchair and the guards that he relies on. Lastly, she wrote Ryu's letter.

His letter conveyed all her feelings. Her hopes for herself, for him, for his people. Her ideas on how to improve his kingdom and the quality of life for his people. She wrote her dreams. How she wished that they would grow old. Have children. And grandchildren. She thanked him for everything he did for her. How he made her feel. Then she apologized for being the first one to leave first. Apologized for not being able to grow old with him. Have children with him. Have grandchildren. She apologized that she was selfish, that when he gave her an option to leave after one year, she should have taken it, because it wouldn't of hurt him so much. He would have a full Back Palace with women who could have children with him. Instead, her selfishness tied him to her tighter than any string could. And because of her decision to stay and build the short life she has with him, she would be leaving a big wound on his heart. She apologized again, and told him that once she is gone, she didn't want him to not live in the past. She wanted him to move on with his life. Marry. Fill up the Back Palace. Have children. Have grandchildren. Live. A long and happy life without her. It would be her greatest gift if he could. The best surprise reward for letting her stand beside him. For being his savior. She asked him to give her this last promise.

By the end of the letter, there were several tear stained spots on the ten page letter. Each letter was placed inside an envelope and sealed with their names on it.

"Nurse Nancy." Siri called softly as she wiped her eyes.

"Yes, your Highness." Nurse Nancy said as she bowed. She quickly looked up and saw Siri's red rimmed eyes. "Your Highness, what's wrong. Why are you crying?"

Nurse Nancy quickly ran up to Siri and held Siri in her embrace. She held Siri until she felt Siri was calm enough to speak.

"Promise me something." Siri told her. "Promise me that you won't break this promise."

"I promise." Nurse Nancy quickly said.

"You must keep it a secret from King Ryu too." Siri told her.