Chapter 9

"Mr. McGregor!" Natalie exclaimed, rushing over to him, "What happened?"

For a moment he didn't respond as he watched her getting a paper towel and handing it to him.

"We had a disagreement," he said blankly drying off his face and shirt.

"About what, you do know it is her last day." She stated matter of factly.

"That is none of your business." He said harshly.

"Fine." She said she replied. Right before she left his office she turned around and said. "Good luck finding another one like that."

When Natalie came back downstairs people started coming over to her. Asking what had happened and what Mr. McGregor had said. She sadly had to tell all of them that she didn't know, up until she decided to call Elizabeth herself.

It took a few rings for her to pick up when Natalie finally heard Elizabeth's Hullo. "What on earth happened?"

"That son of a bitch happened, that's what," Elizabeth answered angrily.

"Just tell me." Natalie sighed.

"So..."

The waiter that brought the two their menu's was a tall slim man, with a rather grumpy looking face.

"Good afternoon Madam and Sir. Can I get you anything to drink?"

Elizabeth had opened her mouth to speak but James beat her to it. "A large bottle of flat water and two glasses would be fine."

She would have been cross with him for ordering for her like that, had it not been her intention to drink water anyways.

The two of them were quiet as they looked over the menu and even when Elizabeth knew her choice she still didn't speak. She simply closed her menu and laid it down in front of her.

"I take it you  know what you want?" James said, not looking up from his menu.

"I do." She said absentmindedly.

"Now now Ms. Waverton, you are allowed to talk." He said looking up at her with a sly grin.

"I am well aware of that Mr. McGregor." She said slightly annoyed.

It wasn't until after they had ordered that one of them started talking again.

"I must say I love that skirt." He said eying her legs. Elizabeth cleared her throat and looked at him. "Thank  you." She said politely.

"So what's on your mind?" He said surprising her with the question. "Nothing." She said looking him dead in the eye. "O come on, a smart girl like you?" He said smiling. 

Elizabeth was about to open her mouth when the waiter returned with the drinks.

"And here's your water madam and sir." He said putting down her glass and pouring the two of them some water. "Anything else?" The waiter said standing up straight.

"Yes," James said, his eyes not leaving hers. "We'll have two glasses of my usual white wine."

"I'll bring it right up." He said nodding and walking away.

Elizabeth felt a bit awkward sitting here lunching with her boss. Sure she had done it quite often with Mr. McGregor sr. but not with his son.

She felt his eyes on her as she shifted in her seat not meeting his gaze. Suddenly Elizabeth heard a voice she hadn't in months. Her head turned around quickly as she saw him walking in.

Giovanni Moreno, a rather large set, mustached, 60-year-old Italian walked in with a smile on his face.  She smiled as she watched him and waited for him to look at her. She knew it wasn't that nice of her to invite him to sit with them, but then again, he was a partner of the company.

"Ahh, Bella! It is good to see you, my friend!" He bellowed walking over to her. "Signore Moreno, it has been too long." She said standing up. Behind her sat a very confused James, staring at the large man now walking over to his assistant.

The two of them hugged and that's when Moreno saw James. "Ah, you must be the boy of James!" He said walking over to James and grabbing his hand. "He was a true friend that man."

"Signore Moreno, why don't you join us for lunch," Elizabeth said, earning a look from James, which she chooses to ignore.

"Why don't I?" He said with a smile on his face.

After that Giovanni had called over a waiter making him set down a chair for him. Elizabeth always loved the man's stories, and right now he was telling all of them.

She noticed how James seemed to be bothered by it at first, sometimes he'd even tap her leg with his foot making her look at him for a moment.

But after a while, he seemed to warm up to the Italian, and actually, have a nice time.

It had been around four o'clock when the three of them left the restaurant. And of course signore Moreno wouldn't let them leave without giving the both of them a big hug.

Elizabeth smiled wide as she waved the man off. James straightened his tie and jacket with slight annoyance on his face when he looked over at the woman beside him.

He smiled ever so slightly realizing this was the first time he had seen her smile so carelessly, so happily...

It was, however, the second that she turned around to face him that her poker face was back on. Sure she smiled, but he just knew it wasn't sincere.

"Ah, there is the car." She said pointing behind him.

He turned around and watched the car roll up indeed.

After that, she avoided talking to him as much as she could. Though he didn't like it very much, he got the message.

When the two of them arrived the office she immediately went over to her desk and sat down behind it. James sighed as he walked past her and into his office. 

The rest of the afternoon seemed to be quite uneventful until the phone rang...

Usually, Elizabeth would answer the phone, but she had gone down to the second floor to help some guy do something. (James didn't really remember). He stood up from his chair and walked over to his door. For a moment he eyed the phone on her desk before picking it up. 

"Hello?" He said confidently. "Good afternoon, Mr. Novak's assistant speaking, I'm calling regarding Ms. Waverton." The lady on the other end of the line stated. 

Novak? He thought for a moment trying to figure out where he heard the name before. Then suddenly something in his head clicked. Novak was the CEO of one of their competitors...

"Proceed." He told the girl on the other end of the line. "Mr. Novak wants to know if she can start Monday instead of Wednesday."

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

A/N: So I hope to post part two of this tomorrow or so... Since at this point somethings were still unclear.... 

Also at first I thought no one was reading this book en then suddenly bam, a lot more people then I had expected.... (which is a good thing) So here's a new part, finally uploaded.