Chapter 14

Chapter 14

       While Xavier and I were eating breakfast in the morning before I had to go to school, Mom got a call that she had to take. Afterwards, she walked back into the kitchen with a sigh. "Bad news," she said. "There was an emergency at work so I have to go in, even I'm constantly telling my manager I can't work in the mornings."

       "Oh," I said. "Well, I'm not sending Xavier to a daycare, so it looks like I'm staying home from school."

       Mom sighed. "I really don't want you to."

       "Mom, it's fine," I said. "I rarely take sick days, so I'll just consider this my sick day. One day isn't going to affect my grades." Saying that reminded me that I actually had an assignment due first thing in the morning, and my teacher said she wasn't going to accept if any of them were late, no matter what the excuse was.

       She used to be pretty lenient with letting students hand in their assignments a day late without letting it affect their mark, but it got up to the point where more than half of the class would hand it in late.

       And she knew how easy it was to fake being sick. A lot of times, we could just tell our parents we were feeling sick, and they would write a note for us the next day.

       "What time do you have to go in?" I asked.

       "I have to leave in ten minutes if I want to make it there on time," she said. "Why?"

       "I have an assignment due, and we have to hand it in today at the start of class," I said. "No exceptions. I'll just take Xavier with me there to hand it in."

       "Are you sure?" Mom asked. "I can take him with me to work and you can just pick him up when you're done handing it in."

       I never told Mom that the whole school already knew about Xavier. I didn't want her to worry about me going through what I did back at our old home.

       "It will be fine," I said. "And knowing Xavier, he'd probably end up drawing on the walls at your workplace."

      "But I love colour," Xavier said. Sometimes, he didn't even listen to whole conversations. He just picked up random words or phrases and jumped in on the conversation.

       "I know you love colouring, but you can't colour in walls," I said. "Do you want to come to school with me for a bit?"

      "Yeah!" Xavier said. "And Nova?"

      "We might see her there," I said.

       Xavier really loved Nova, and that just made me really happy. She was the only friend I really had, so her getting along with my son had to happen or else the friendship would have ended. I was just lucky to find someone like her.

       After I finished eating, I got Xavier ready to head to the school with me before getting myself ready. I made sure I had my assignment, and Xavier made sure he had his teddy bear with him. I grabbed my keys, and then we headed out of the house and to my car.

       Xavier seemed pretty excited to go to the school, probably because he wanted to see Nova.

       We got out of the car once we got to the school, and he he held my hand in one of his hands and his teddy bear in the other. I knew I was going to get a lot of looks, but I didn't care. I loved Xavier and if people believed the rumours about me taking Xavier away from Jolie, I didn't care.

       The glances immediately came as soon as we walked into the school, but I ignored them before I made our way to my first class to hand in my assignment.

       When I got to the classroom, I knocked slightly on the door and the teacher looked over. "What can I do for you Hudson?" she asked.

       "I'm not going to be in class today, so I'm just here handing in my assignment," I said.

       She nodded, then gestured for me to walk over. I did with Xavier closely following. I then took my assignment out of my bad before handing it in. "Thank you for coming just to hand it in," she said. "You're one of my top students, and it would have been a shame if I couldn't accept your assignment if you didn't show up, but I have to set rules for everyone because of those thinking they can get away with it." She then noticed Xavier standing half-beside, half-behind me. "Oh, and who's this?"

       "This is Xavier, my son," I said. "My mom always watches him when I'm at school, but she was called into work today and Xavier can't stay at a daycare so I have to stay home and watch him."

       "Oh, okay," she said. "Again, thank you for coming in to hand in your assignment. You should go now before the bell rings and the halls get crowded from people heading to their classes."

      Xavier and I left the classroom and almost immediately, Xavier ran forward, but I grabbed him and picked him up just in time before he got too ahead of me. "And what do you think you're doing?" I asked.

       "Nova!" Xavier said, pointing forward to Nova who was standing nearby looking at her phone. 

       "You want to go see her?" I asked.

       "Yeah!"

       I walked over to Nova, carrying Xavier so he wouldn't run away again. "Hey."

       Nova looked up and smiled. "Hey."

       "Hi, Nova!" Xavier said, before holding his arms out. "You hold me."

       "Of course I will," Nova said, gently taking Xavier from my arms. "What are you doing here?"

       "I at school!"

       "I need to watch him for the day because my mom was called in to work," I said. "But I had to hand something in today, and there's no excuses for handing it in late."

       "Ah, makes sense," Nova said. "You can't send him to a daycare?"

       "I'd....rather not," I said. "He may seem like he's fine, but after what happened with Jolie, I don't think he'd handle being away from me or my mom and being taken care of by complete strangers."

       "Oh, right," Nova said. "Well, I should leave you two to heading out of here, making me feel jealous because I don't want to be in school. Mind if I skip too?"

       "I'm not technically skipping if I'm watching my son," I said.

       "Then, it wouldn't be skipping if I came to help," Nova said. 

       "Well, it's your life, not mine," I said. "We're probably just going to be staying at home. You can join us if you want to."

       "Count me in," Nova said.

_______________

Lol, I forced myself to update. Woo. :D

Aaaaaaand a gif to make up for it?

jk jk that won't make up for the long break

jk jk that won't make up for the long break. Oh well. cx