The Boy With The Pretty Eyes

(Ally POV)

"No excuses." Daryl had said. "She's staying with us."

So, I had officially joined their camp before they even walked out of the room. Rick told me he'd send someone in to give me back my weapons and backpack after I get some rest.

Then, he said he was going to introduce me to some of the people here at the camp, and that he had a son my age that I should meet.

I laid in that bed, staring up at the ceiling, enjoying the fact that I actually had a bed to sleep on and group that would help me survive. My whole life I wanted to be reunited with my dad again... I guess some things happen for a reason.

I was able to take an hour long nap before I woke up from the sound of footsteps headed my way. Soon, Hershel limped into the room with his crutches. I sat up but he stopped me.

"No, don't get up. You need the rest."

I bit my lip, shaking my head. "No, I'm okay."

"Really?" Hershel sat in the chair across from my bed, folded his hands together, and leaned forward. He didn't believe me for a second. "When was the last time you got a full night's rest? Or slept in a bed?"

I shook my head. I really couldn't remember.

"Exactly." He smiled softly and I smiled back. "Lets check up on that leg of yours."

Hershel said it wasn't infected and that I would heal nicely. "Thank you." I said as he sat back in the chair. "I can't remember the last time I've seen a doctor. Even before the apocalypse." I mumbled that last part but Hershel still heard it.

"Do... Do you need me to check anything else?" He asked with kind eyes.

I shook my head but smiled at him. "No thank you."

He nodded, standing up. "Try to get some rest." I nodded, even though that wasn't gonna happen.

I laid there, staring at the door as random people walked by, glancing my way, but I quickly closed my eyes, avoiding awkward eye contact. Soon enough, Daryl walked into the cell. I looked up at him and sat up, leaning against the cold, hard wall. He sat down in the chair Hershel usual sat in and stared at the ground.

"Ally... I can't tell you how sorry I am." He shakes his head.

"Daryl." I put my hand on his arm to make him stop talking. He looks up at me, raising his eyebrows. "It's okay. That was before. Now, it doesn't matter. It's a different world. I'm not gonna hold a grudge against you when we can't do anything to change the past." I shrugged. "We're here now. That's all that matters."

Daryl hesitated before nodding. "I'm still sorry. If I hadn't been so selfish after Emily..."

Emily is my mother, Daryl's wife.

"Daryl." I stopped him again. "I forgive you."

He nodded, like he was agreeing with me, but then shrugged. "I don't forgive myself."

"You should. And you will, because I'm here now, and you're going to love me to death."

Daryl chuckled at that. "Aw kid, I already do. I have for years." He wrapped his arms around me in a tight hug. I wasn't expecting it, so I hesitate before hugging him back.

Daryl, nor Hershel, would let me get up and explore the prison. I've been here since this this morning, it was dark out now and I still have only met Rick, Glenn, Daryl, and Hershel out of the whole camp.

I was mindlessly staring at a book Glenn had given me. I wasn't exactly reading it, more like staring at the words in deep thought. "Ally." My head shot up at my name. Rick was standing in the doorway, staring down at me, hand on his gun, as always.

"Hello." I gave him a small smile. Rick then stepped aside to reveal the boy I saw earlier with the pretty eyes. He was holding my backpack in one hand and my weapons in the other.

"This is my son, Carl. Carl, this is Daryl's daughter, Ally." I nodded at the boy as a greeting and he nodded back. "I figured you two could get to know each other, being the same age and all."

I nodded as Rick steps aside and Carl walks into my cell. Rick watches us for a second and nods before walking away, leaving us alone.

"Hi." Carl said, taking a step closer to the bed.

"Hi." I said back, looking up at him.

"Uh... I was told to give these to you." He hands me my backpack, knife and gun.

"Thanks." I say, taking my items from his hands. I put my weapons back in my belt and put my backpack right at my side. Carl then
awkwardly sits in the chair that is across from my bed.

"So... You're Daryl's daughter? I didn't think he had any other family besides Merle."

I nod before realizing what he just said. "Wait. Uncle- my uncle... Merle? Merle's alive?" I sit on the edge of the bed, clutching the sides of it as if I might fall off it.

Carl stares at me before shaking his head, looking down at the floor. "I'm sorry..."

I shake my head as well. I know what that look means. "No, it's okay. I didn't even know my dad was alive until this morning."

He smiles at that, looking back up at me. "So, are there other kids here?" I ask, wanting to the change the subject more than anything.

"Not really. Me, Beth-but she's nineteen, and my little sister Judith. She's six weeks old. And now you." Carl explains.

"Aw, there's a baby here? I didn't think there would be one ever again." I say it in a joking tone, even though I was serious.

"I don't think anyone did." Carl answers truthfully. "That's how my mom died. Childbirth."

I didn't expect him to be so truthful and open so fast. "Oh... I'm so sorry, Carl."

He shakes his head. "It's alright. Sorry... I guess I'm still..."

"In shock." I finish for him. "I know how you feel. I had to... " I look down at my large, black backpack. "I had to kill my sister."

"I'm sorry... I had to kill my mom."

"Me too."

We were both silent for a long time. "Hey," I began and he looked up at me. "At least we have something in common." 

He laughed, shaking his head. "Not a great start."

I shrugged. "What is these days?"

He then stared at me for a second too long. "Exactly."