Chapter 64

After that big bombshell you quickly do all that you can to lighten the mood.

"What's the time?" You sigh, unravelling yourself from Bucky after a few minutes of just silently holding each other close.

"Ahh, two o'clock," he says looking around the room for the clock.

"Well I guess that's our cue to get ready and go get the kids then." You huff as you roll out of the bed begrudgingly.

"I don't know if I'm excited or disappointed by that prospect." Bucky grunts as he hops out the other side and reaches for his pants. "I can't wait to see the kids but this was so nice."

"Agreed." You nod as you do up the clasp of your bra. "Why not have a little fun with it then?"

"What did you have in mind?" He quirks an eyebrow curiously.

"I was thinking that I hide while you go pick them up and see their reactions since they aren't expecting you." You smirk cunningly. "If you're up to it of course. I'll stay close by and watch."

"Oh that's brilliant." Bucky laughs. "I can't wait."

"Excellent." You beam. "I'll ring Peggy and get her to get the kids to answer the door when we go there. Oh and a heads up for the school, no one apart from my close mum friends really have any idea what's going on, they just haven't seen you in a while and even then those who do know something's up don't know the full details."

"Thank god." He huffs. "I'm not ready for the drama of all that yet. I dread the day that it's all going to come out."

"Lets just hope it doesn't," you agree. "So just act your normal self and you'll be fine. They'll probably ask a lot of questions but I'll do my best to stop them."

"Okay." He nods.

You can tell he's both nervous and excited.

~~~~

Walking through the school gate you can feel Bucky tense a little beside you. It's an unfamiliar environment with lots of unfamiliar people. He's never really done school pick up before let alone now.

"You'll be fine." You whisper and squeeze his hand. "Just think about how great it'll be when you see Luke's face."

He just nods rigidly beside you.

As you walk into the school yard where majority of the parents - mostly mothers - already wait in their little grips you can't deny that many heads turn your way and many jaws drop to the floor along with lots of hushed whispers that ensue. Bucky Barnes is a national hero, practically a celebrity. And the fact that he's at their kids school is probably just about enough to make someone have a little freak out. Especially ladies, most women these days crush hard on Bucky and Steve. Around the streets isn't so bad as that just the normal and expected, but these are people you don't know that well and don't see you guys all the time.

Keeping Bucky's hand in yours you make a beeline for your friend group feeling like your back at school. But you're stopped short by a two women coming up to you, ogling at Bucky. You smile timidly at them but really you just want to role your eyes. You know them. They were the bitches when you were at school.

"James it's been too long! Remember me?" One of them exclaims, all bright and cheerful.

"Ahh, sure." He mumbles and she bursts out laughing.

"Oh your so funny just like always." She swoons.

"Hi Bucky. How are you?" Another of them asks eagerly, even having the audacity to run a hand up his arm - luckily his flesh one. "Can I call you that?"