Chapter 8

Isabelle jumped up from her place at the table and took over from Hodge. She pulled up an invitation and pointed to it.

"A Downworld rave, nice, Izzy," Jace praised.

"And where'd you get that?" Alec asked.

"During my surveillance of the Downworlders. From what I hear, Magnus likes to party," Isabelle said with a knowing smile.

Alec was skeptical. "He'll never go for it. Not with Valentine trying to kill him."

"Of course he will," Jace butted in, "He'll blend in - hide in plain sight."

"I don't know, it's seems-"

Isabelle interrupted Clary, "Trust me, if Magnus is coming out of hiding, he's going to one of the biggest parties of the year."

"Never underestimate Magnus' hedonism," Hodge added, "Or his greed. Come with me." He walked over to a rune on the floor and traced it with his stele, removing the tile and revealing a necklace. Isabelle gasped at it's beauty, "A four-karat, unheated Burmese ruby," He explained, "And this necklace has special meaning to Magnus Bane as it was a gift from him to his then lover, Camille Belcourt."

"What, Camille and Magnus were lovers?" Clary asked.

"Warlock gets around," Jace smirked.

Hodge nodded, "Magnus bought it in 1857 for the price of his London townhouse. Now, the jewel is enchanted by a spell that alerts the wearer to the presence of demons. Magnus has longed to reunite with this necklace. Offer it to him. He might just take the bait."

Jace started to leave. "I'll send Magnus a fire message to arrange the meeting. We have to get to Magnus before Valentine does."

Isabelle took my hand and Clary's, and led us back to her bedroom. "Now what will you two be wearing to the Downworlder party tonight?"

I shrugged and Clary looked down at her green top and jeans, "I don't know. I was just thinking about wearing this."

Isabelle snorted, "I don't think so. No Downworlder would be caught dead in that. Plus, it's a party, not a poetry slam."

"Izzy neither of us have any party clothes," I said.

She considered what I said then replied, "So you'll have to wear mine, hmm?" She dug around in her closet for a minute then, "Ah! Clary," She held out a small black number.

"Okay, that dress is way too tight," Clary shook her head.

"It's stretchy," Isabelle reasoned. "Put it on."

"Ugh, fine." Clary walked behind the divider before Isabelle handed her some matching heels, "Try these."

After giving the shoes to Clary, she returned to her closet and Isabelle produced an outfit for me too. I raised an eyebrow at the revealing, black romper, but took it wordlessly, knowing the struggle was futile.

After Clary came out, looking ridiculous in Isabelle's little black dress, I ducked behind the divider and slipped into my own party attire. As I walked out I declared, "Okay but I'm wearing my flat boots, you're not getting me in heels, no way-" I stopped when I found no Clary and instead Alec, whose eyes grew wide as he took in my appearance. His eyes raked my smooth tanned legs before flickering to my barely covered chest for a split second.

He cleared his throat and turned back to Isabelle, visibly swallowing hard. "Jace said you wanted to see me?"

"Yeah, you never know what to wear to these parties either."

Alec looked down at the shirt he had on as if asking what was wrong with it and back to his little sister, who shook her head in a not a chance are you wearing that way. She tossed him a denim shirt and looked at him expectantly. He glanced at me briefly rolling his eyes at his sister and I laughed before he stripped his shirt off, replacing it with the one Isabelle gave him. It was my turn to swallow as my mouth went dry. Isabelle smirked at the pair of us and we three walked to the training room together, where Alec started inspecting his arrows.