XXVII

This couldn't be happening.

Neighbouring tribes knew we were vulnerable without my father and his men, it was a cruel act to put us under siege at this time, especially at night when it was hard enough to see.

I didn't pay attention to Bow as I all but ran down the stairs and into the kitchen, heading straight for the back door.

"Keylin wait! You can't go out there-"

"I can't leave Baja out there." I turn around in frustration. Already hearing her wails of fear as she could sense the danger coming.

"She will be fine." Bow's gaze softens.

"She is safe in the-"

Ana's scream reverberates through the house making both Bow and I turn our heads in the direction of the living room silently. Bow's breathing becoming escalated as he grabs a knife from the kitchen worktop. Beginning to walk out of the kitchen and towards his mother's scream.

With a ruffle of frustration through my hair in contemplation, I turn and bolt out the kitchen door and into the garden. Not stopping in the midst of the attack filling the air as I reach the stable and unbolt the door. Quickly throwing it open and almost falling over when Baja makes contact with me. Her frantic voice filling my mind.

'So much anger and blood being spilled, all on Trainers hands. Hands are covered. Can't wash clean-'

"Baja.." I stop her rambling as I catch my breath. "We are under attack, there is people in our house-"

'Must leave now.'

I ignore her and make my way back into the house, much to her displeasure and whining, she follows me. Her jet black fur rising on her back as she growls into the threatening night at her surroundings.

"Bow!" I call out, quickly hearing footsteps coming towards me and Baja quickly comes beside me, taking a stance being ready to pounce on the intruder.

She relaxes when she spots Bow but growls at the bloody knife in his hand. My eyes widen at this and I'm about to step back when Bow quickly grabs my hand, bringing me into the sitting room.

My eyes fall on a crying Ana, clutching a bloody side of her cheek where she had been attacked. Her attacker laying on its front face down with multiple knife wounds inflicted onto his skin.

My stomach twists as I feel like vomiting at the sight. My mind somehow playing tricks on me as I stumble back in panic.

Bow takes the silver designed bow and arrows from the man and holds it out to me with an unreadable expression. Somehow knowing that somewhere down the line he would meet this fate.

"They're here for you Keylin-"

I shake my head at him repeatedly as my vision starts to blur. Bow seems to lose his patience and grabs my arm, pulling me closer to him despite my protests as he shoves the bow and their arrows into my hands.

"You need to protect yourself ok? Listen to me! They're here for you. They're going to take you away from us, away from your family, friends-"

"I can't fight them!" I protest, voice wavering as a tear rolls down my cheek.

"You have to." Bow replies as he quickly scrambles for his sword in the wooden cabinet. After quickly retrieving it, he grabs my hand and leads me out of the front door, Baja following suit on guard. Leaving Ana behind in her crying mess but something tells me she would be alright and Bow would be coming back for her.

This can't be happening.

"W-Where are we going?"

"I'm going to get you as far away from here as possible. They can't take you again. You're a Dry Lander Keylin. You belong with us-"