8. BUCKY: Distractions and Deli Sandwiches

Word Count: 1.9K

Warnings: Language!

Your fingertips drum against the metal table impatiently. What started off as the beat to a Beatles song has now shifted into off-tuned nonsense. The only other noises in the room are the whirring fan above, the slight slurping of Tony drinking his cappuccino, and Steve droning on about another mission. This briefing is just as boring as all the others. You feel sorta bad. You know you should be listening, but listening and note-taking was never your strong subject in school. You just want to get on the field and shoot someone, dammit! Especially someone who deserves it.

You let out an accidentally too loud huff. Steve, who has been trying so hard to get everyone to pay attention (bless his heart), notices your impatience. He stares down at you in that disappointed-fatherly way until you sheepishly smile and look away. You hear him sigh then keep blabbing on.

From your skinny jean pocket beneath the table you feel your iPhone buzz. You try not to make a scene while shimmying it out of the impossibly tight space. You have to bite your lip to keep from grinning too wide as you open and read the message.

Buckster: on a scale from one to ten, how much do you hate this?

There's another one.

Buckster: because I would rather be back in the freezer than sit here another minute and listen to Steve talk about teamwork

You bite down on your knuckle as the only way to keep yourself from cackling. You risk looking across and up the table at Bucky. He's seated just to the side of Steve—his hands beneath the table typing to you and his eyes pretending to be set on Steve. But out of the corner of his vision, he's looking at you. You only know this because he sends you a very discreet wink.

You quickly set to texting him back.

Peaches: I'll gladly join you in the fridge if it means Steve won't keep glaring at me

Bucky tries hard not to smile as your contact name pops up on his screen. Yours is the only name in his phone that isn't the traditional first and last. It all started with an inside joke about a peach pie and a dessert disaster, and the nickname just stuck. Everyone else in the tower sees that there's something different about you to him rather than just a contact name; but you're both in denial.

Buckster: In his defense you are kinda making a bit of noise down there

Peaches: What about Sam?! He keeps talking to himself. At least I'm not doing that

Buckster: Are you sure he's talking? I thought he was practicing his rapping skills.

You glance up the table discreetly to where Sam sits. Sure enough, he's mumbling rhymes to himself while jotting notes down.

Buckster: You did challenge him to a rap-off. He must be prepping.

Peaches: I DID?! When the hell did I do that??

Bucky nearly rolls his eyes.

Buckster: Last week. You were kinda hammered though.

Peaches: Oh yeah I remember that night. I don't remember much after the third fireball shot tho

Buckster: I remember plenty

Peaches: Let's move on from this embarrassing subject lol

Buckster: Why? Don't you wanna know what drunk Y/N likes to talk about?

Peaches: Drunk me is crazy