Chapter 9

Still decked out in our party clothes, Jace led the way to Magnus' hideout.

"Magnus' lair is right behind that fence," Jace said, pointing to a large wire fence that divided the old warehouse we were in.

"Magnus lives in a warehouse?" Clary asked, looking around.

"Not exactly. Warlock glamour," he explained.

Isabelle held up her hand to stop us. "Something's wrong. It's far too easy to get this close."

"His protective wards must be down," Jace muttered.

"You," Alec said to Clary, "Don't get in the way."

Clary frowned and pointed to me, "What about her?"

"She already knows not to get in the way," He responded. "Plus she knows how to use a weapon."

We saw two men fighting and ran inside. Everybody separated, and I discovered a little girl kneeling beside one of the two men who were just fighting, "Daddy! Daddy? Daddy, get up, please!"

A large man with a Circle rune was coming up behind the little girl and I kicked him in the back, successfully knocking him away from the child, and pulled her behind me.

"Samara Fairchild. Valentine will be so pleased to meet you," He stood facing me. I inched my hand round to my back pocket, trying to be discreet as possible. The man raised his own seraph blade at the same moment my fingers closed around a knife. In one smooth motion, I flicked my wrist out from behind my back and my knife found its way into the chest of my attacker.

"Nice job." I looked up to find Jace on a level above me, looking down ready to throw a knife of his own.

"Thanks," I ran through a doorway, heaving the little girl onto my back as I went. I found Magnus and another member of the Circle fighting.

"Cat's eyes," The Shadowhunter taunted, "Be a nice addition to my collection." He moved to attack but I moved faster, throwing a second knife. It narrowly flew past Magnus and struck the intruder in the throat.

Magnus whipped around, startled, but relaxed when he saw me. His eyes softened when he saw the child I had on my back, her face buried in my shoulder. He nodded in thanks and led me through to the main living room - or what was left of it - where the others were gathered.

"Hey, it's okay, you're safe now, Magnus is here," I whispered to the girl, letting her slide down off my back and run to Magnus.

"Go join the others, my dear," He said, "This is no place for a little girl." He ushered her towards the remaining warlocks before turning back to me. "What you did for Zoe... You risked your life without hesitation to save a young warlock child." His voice was laced with gratitude and a hint of surprise.

"She was in trouble," I shrugged not really seeing anything else I could have done.

"You always have a choice though. You're not like the others, Samara Fairchild. Most Shadowhunters protect Downworlders out of sense of duty, but you saved young Zoe because of what was inside your heart."

I saw Alec listening to our conversation and could have sworn I saw a glint of pride, shining in his eyes. "Magnus, please, you can't hide from this battle. Valentine, has found you once, he will find you again. We need to work together," I said levelly.

Magnus looked like he wanted to say no, but I held his gaze and he heeded. "I can summon the demon, but your sister must make the demand." I nodded in understanding. "But we're not safe here. The lair's location has been compromised." He addressed everybody when he next spoke. "Hold tight, everyone, we're about to move."