Chapter Twenty-Two

Thanks to MidnightPromise for the banner!

-------------------------------

Immediately, I go into complete shock.

            It’s as if my whole body is rendered completely motionless by the realization of what’s happening. But who can blame me? This isn’t exactly what I had expected to come out of being trapped in a store closet together.

            Brutally murdering each other, maybe, but him kissing me?

            I’m actually surprised I’m able to sustain consciousness. This is the guy who’s dating my worst enemy. The guy who’s been determined to make my life a living hell these past few weeks. The guy who’s made it unmistakably clear that he hates me.

            And now his lips are pressed against mine.

            Suddenly, something makes me snap out of my daydream. Of course, the rational thing to do would be to push Connor away from me as quickly as possible, and demand to know the reasoning behind his impossibly confusing behavior. One minute he can’t stand my presence, the other he can’t stand the distance between our lips. Trying to understand him is an unattainable feat in itself.

            For some reason, though, I don’t go for the rational option. I don’t know what comes over me, but it’s enough to overpower the part of my brain that’s screaming at me to push him away right now. Instead of doing that... I kiss him back.

            I’m fully aware it’s wrong, but my body seems to think otherwise. There’s something about the sensation and taste of Connor’s lips against mine that prevents me from pulling away. His scent and proximity are intoxicating, almost addicting. My hands stretch around the back of his neck, pulling him closer. Some kind of alter-ego seems to have taken over; shy, naïve Georgie wouldn’t even know what to do during this sort of kiss, let alone have the courage to take the lead. It’s not long before the sense of hesitance has vanished completely and we’re both on the verge of breathlessness, not being able to get enough of each other.

            This is a lot different to how I kiss Nathan.

            With him, it’s shy, sweet exchanges that do absolutely nothing to raise my heart rate. But this... well, this is in a whole different league. There’s some kind of raw passion between Connor and I that’s sparking at an alarming rate.

            Half of my brain is shouting “what the hell are you doing?” but the other half is too preoccupied with how silky soft Connor’s hair feels as I run my fingers through it. All I can think about is how this boy must use some damn good hair products.

            It amazes me how something so completely and utterly wrong can feel so good. I don’t know what it is, but there’s something about kissing Connor that makes me forget myself. Shy, awkward Georgie fades into the background, while a more confident version of myself (that I didn’t know existed) leaps into the drivers’ seat of my brain.

            Without warning, the darkness that I’ve become accustomed to transforms into illumination. I open my eyes to see we’ve been plunged into light by the light bulb hanging limply above us. The power’s back on. As if suddenly coming to my senses, I push Connor away, shuffling backwards to put a reasonable amount of distance between us. My heart’s beating a million times a minute and I can’t help but let my eyes widen at what’s just gone on.

            Connor, too, looks incredibly flustered. His cheeks are tinged slightly pink and his hair’s ruffled – courtesy of my wandering hands. For a moment we’re frozen, just staring at each other in awe, wondering if that really did just happen.