Chapter Thirty:

Ruka (1)

"Take your seats everyone." Jet said while extending his arm out to the wooden table on the ground.

I stayed where I was and Sokka looked back to me confused. "Aren't you coming?"

"You go ahead. I'm not that hungry anyway." I gave him a small smile. Sokka nodded, "Stay close though."

I leaned back on the tree behind me with my arms crossed.

"Today, we struck another blow with the Fire Nation swine!" Jet raised his cup. Everyone cheered except for Sokka who had his arms crossed and looked very distraught.

"I got a special joy from the look on one soldiers face when The Duke dropped down on his helmet and rode him like a wild hog monkey."

The Duke stood up onto the table and laughed while skipping around a plate as everyone cheered for him.

I slightly smiled for a bit before looking away from everyone. All I could think about was Zuko at that moment.

Why Zuko that? Or Why Zuko this?

It didn't really make much sense to me. Zuko and I didn't really click honestly. We argued and were annoyed with each other all the time.

Why wouldn't Zuko just think about saving himself? Why would he maybe risk himself to save me too?

Zuko knew my siblings were there. We could've gotten out safely.

But maybe he didn't think we would and that's why he did. Why didn't he tell me about it? Or mention it? So many questions I want to ask him, but it's too late. Until I see him again. We will see him again. But I can't have an actual conversation with him in front of Aang. Or Sokka. Or Katara.

Zuko and I aren't friends and we never will be. We were just on the same ship determined to get to the same spot.

I wonder what he's think right now. Have I come across-

Sokka grabbed onto my hand and pulled me away from my spot. "Let's go Ruka."

"What?" I heard him correctly and I wasn't complaining on leaving, I was just a little confused after my daze.

"Sokka, you're kidding me. I needed you on an important mission tomorrow." Jet called after us.

Sokka stopped in his tracks and I looked to him confused. "A little lost there? If we go straight, we'll find Appa."

"What mission?" Sokka said lowly as he looked over his shoulder to Jet. I face palmed, "Of course."

"You can join us too Ruka." Jet said. "You'll learn how a real freedom fighter does it."

I rolled my eyes, "Like I would want to go anywhere wi-"

Sokka elbowed my shoulder. "Ow." I said, rubbing the part he elbowed.

Sokka nodded. "We're in."

Jet kept his signature expression, "Great. If you're done eating, Smellerbee here can show you where you'll be staying."