Chapter Six

Chapter Six

As always, Mr. Father ended the show with a dramatic last comment, and then the curtains fell, and the mass of people began to leave one by one.

I didn't leave.   

I didn't leave not because I didn't want to, but because Candace came out on the stage, and took hold of my arm. He said something about wanting me to stay, so I did, and when the curtains dropped, I was alone behind them, with nobody but Candace and Cousin.

Mr. Father and the crowd of people were on the other side of the stage, and I realized if something happened to me, nobody would witness it.

I'm all alone to defend myself.

I refused to look scared, despite my heart beating rapidly, and my body dripping in sweat, and my legs were shaking, and Candace's grip was really strong and kind of hurt.

"Oh honey, you sure are a brave one." Candace said, as he led me back into the dressing room where I had watched both him and Mr. Father talk before. Suddenly, this place was ten times more terrifying. He sat me on the seat in front of a vanity, and told me to wait. I glanced over my shoulder and back at the stage to see Candace and a few strong-looking backup dancers unbinding Cousin from his chains. They pulled him through the dressing room, and I tried to catch his gaze, but he refused to look at anything but the floor.

I swallowed.

Candace returned shortly, and leaned against a clothing rack, eyeing me up and down like I was the man wearing a dress and heels. "You're a pretty thing, aren't you?"

"I don't care what you think." I spat back, which seemed to amuse him.

"You also got a mouth on you."

"And you're a man wearing heels with bows on them."

He rose an eyebrow, "Is there something wrong with heels with bows?"

"They're terribly outdated."

I expected him to lash out at me, but instead he laughed, "Oh, I like you."

I was about to say I didn't care whether he liked me or not, and that I hated everything about this place, but the words got caught in my throat as Mr. Father arrived in the room with a lit cigar. The moment his eyes landed on me, a smile broke out onto his face.

"Hello there, beautiful." He said, and I wanted to die. "I'm glad we have a chance to speak privately."

"What do you want?" I asked him, with malice in my tone that I never knew I had. "It's not polite for a woman to be in a dressing room with two men, don't you know that?"

He pretended to act offended, "Why of course, dear. This will only take a moment. I mean no harm unto you whatsoever, and if you feel uncomfortable, the door is right out there," His voice lowered, "I'm sure you're quite aware."

My eyes widened and I felt my mouth drop, "You knew I snuck in here?"

"Of course I knew," He said with a laugh, "I know everything that happens around here. I have eyes everywhere." He cleared his throat, "But that's not why I wanted to talk to you." He pointed to Candace, "First of all, let's all introduce ourselves. This here is Candace he is my right-hand man."

"It's a pleasure, darling." Candace said as he dramatically ran his hand through his obviously-fake blonde hair. I wasn't sure if I liked him, or if he was just as annoying as Mr. Father.

I guess I don't know enough about Candace to know whether he's a good man or not -if he works for Mr. Father, then I'm guessing the latter.

"And clearly you are aware my name is Mr. Father on stage, people around here just call me father."