Chapter 12

I heard someone on the stairs and, thinking it Alec, I went to ask him if everything was okay. It was not Alec.

I came face to face with Luke's co-worker Alaric and a man I didn't recognise. They barged into the room and had all three of us in handcuffs in a matter of seconds.

"What? What the hell is going on?" I asked. I didn't get a reply and was instead shoved down the stairs.

Alaric and his partner dragged us out to a black car parked on the street. I looked around frantically, hoping someone would see us and help us. Then I realised that obviously nobody was going to stop two cops from arresting someone.

I caught a glimpse of Alec down the alleyway, by the fire escape. We made eye contact for a split second before I was pushed forwards. I heard him shout my name and as I was being forced into the car, I saw him sprinting towards us, but the car was already racing off and I lost sight of him.

Alaric pulled into the docks and he and his partner opened their doors to get out.

"Where are we? This isn't the police station," Clary pointed out.

"Just cooperate and everything will be fine," The unknown man responded, before yanking the back doors open, "Get out."

"We didn't do anything wrong," Simon pleaded.

"Be quiet or you're gonna make this worse for yourself." Alaric's phone started ringing as the men ushered us across the dirt towards what seemed to be a Chinese restaurant.

"Ignore it. That's an order," The man told Alaric. They hustled us inside and pushed us down into some chairs.

"Why do I keep getting kidnapped?" Simon asked rhetorically.

"Not to be self-centered, but I think it's me they're after," Clary said to him. As Alaric and the other man took a seat opposite, my sister turned to them. "Okay, what is going on? Alaric, did you arrest us for trespassing or something, because, news flash, I was in my own apartment," She demanded.

"We're just having a little conversation, that's all," The man assured us.

"Do you always handcuff people you wanna talk to? I bet this guy has one of the scariest online profiles ever," Simon rambled.

"This guy's funny," Alaric's partner pointed to Simon, "I like funny."

Alaric leaned across the table and looked at Clary, "Look, I know you're scared of Luke. He's trying to find you - I can keep you safe. You just need to tell us where the Mortal Cup is."

Clary sighed, frustrated, "Everyone thinks I can find this Cup, but I don't know where it is!"

Alaric shook his head and pressed, "Think, Clary. I'm trying to give you a chance."

"I can't help you. I'm sorry. Now, will you please let us go-" A fork being slammed into the table where my hands had been not two seconds ago, cut Clary off.

"Playtime's over," The man said.

Alaric turned to him, "Theo, just let me talk some sense into them."

"No, we did it your way. Now, we're gonna try it my way," Theo waved somebody over and suddenly Simon was being hauled from his chair.

"Hey, don't touch him!" Clary shouted.

"Tell us where the Cup is or your funny friend dies," Theo said as though it was a reasonable request.

"Please, don't hurt Simon, okay? I promise you, I swear to you, I do not where this Cup is," Clary begged.