Tell Me - 1

HI EVERYONE!!! The edited version of Shift is now available on Amazon!! I would love the support if you would go purchase - it is $3.99 US!! It would mean the world to me 💕 it has more content & it is nicely tuned up!

If you do end up purchasing it would mean a lot if you would give it a review! Thank you!!

Just search Shift A Vampire Romance

Thanks so much!! 💕

Now on to the unedited version of Shift....

The unedited version

It hasn't been normal since 2028. I am not really sure what 'normal' is anymore. I've grown up in this world, and to me, this is normal. Not ideal, but normal.

My life may have seemed normal, if you could have seen the only family picture hanging in the hallway. It was the only framed picture hanging in our one floor home. It was a simple picture, in a simple frame. In the picture there was me, my farm, and my family. We were all smiling, happy. It was a good day; no one got hurt that day, not even Kyle. Kyle was always getting hurt even when we were kids, so it was a miracle if he was in one piece by the end of the day. I remember it was a very special day, because it was dad's birthday.

I had made him a card, and I drew it with my little sister. We sat there together and I drew and she scribbled a bit here and there, but together we worked hard and I was very proud of our card. I remember the two of us, Rebekah and I, walking up to him and handing it to him. He looked so happy, and I remember that he gave me the biggest smile ever, thanking me and engulfing me and Rebekah in his large arms. I was only nine.

For five years afterwards, life was good. Rebekah got past her terrible toddler years and grew into the prettiest little girl with little blond curls. Mom would always be taking care of the house, or us, or tending to her herbs. Dad would be working in the farm, selling things down at the market or in our small sheltered community. Even Kyle was happy for those five years.

But then those five years passed. Kyle was drafted for war against the next kingdom over. He was only 17. Mom cried for weeks, and dad stopped talking. I would constantly hide in the barn, and Rebekah would sit in our field for hours, not understanding why mommy and daddy didn't have time for their little girl anymore.

It was more then Kyle getting drafted, I knew, by that point I was almost 14. There was a huge war going on, and if the other kingdom won, we wouldn't get to be a happy family anymore, not like things were so happy at the moment to begin with.

There is something that I haven't told you about my family. A big thing actually We aren't human; practically no one is human these days.

You see around 400 years ago, the world changed. The creatures that had been hiding in the dark finally emerged. These creatures included vampires, witches, shifters, werewolves, fallen angels and wood fairies. There could be more, but those are the ones my mother had taught us about.

Vampires and werewolves emerged before the rest. The humans were destroying our earth, especially with World War Three raging on since 2026. North Korea and America went at it at that time, and with fear of a nuclear disaster, the royal vampires and head werewolf's took over. They disabled all the humans in the world. Taking them down in a matter of weeks.

Soon the world was at peace, except for the fact that the humans were all slaves for the werewolves and vampires, mostly the vampires. I know that it wasn't a good time for the humans, but it was a long time ago. The rebellions have all but come and gone for them, and ones left are ether family slaves or bred and sold like cattle to the vampires.

All of the mystical creatures surfaced from the darkness after the werewolves and vampires. I have heard it was a joyous time. The world lived in peace for almost 409 years, until 2435, which was 5 years ago. 5 years since the vampires and the werewolves declared war, at least in my kingdom (which is run by vampires) and the kingdom over. I have heard that other places in the world have had similar problems, but kingdoms don't tend to bother themselves with other kingdoms problems, unless asked I guess.

The vampires finally got too greedy and the werewolves in the kingdom over decided it was time to stop them and their selfish ways. That's when the werewolves and vampires drafted all of the young witches in their kingdoms to fight the war, even when they didn't want to. This put witches against witches. That's the reason Kyle got drafted.

It was 2439 when the vampires were declared victors, and our kingdom took over theirs. One year ago since I lost my freedom as a shifter. It was at that time that a lot of werewolves and shifters tried to flee, most getting killed in the process. I hope the ones that got away got to a better place with better rules. Most didn't flee because they knew they had to stay and protect their families. I didn't flee because while I am a shifter, the rest of my family are witches.

The vampires took away all rights and freedom away from the werewolves, and then the shifters, since we have always been the werewolves closest allies. Fallen Angels gained more power because of their relationship with the vampires. The witches and wood fairies managed to remain neutral, so they were all allowed to pretty much live out their lives like they used to.

The king vampire, Ezekiel, proclaimed that "All werewolves and or shifters are to be treated as slaves, as dirt, as if they were no better than a human. If you are caught giving a werewolf and or shifter compassion, you shall be punished, and they shall be put to death." On July 7th 2439.

That was first day my dad ever hit me. I didn't blame him, I knew he didn't hate me, and he just didn't want me to die. They had started doing random checks, making sure all new rules were being followed. So the only way I was to not die, was for my family to kill my spirit. Sometimes I think I would've rather died then seeing the cold way my family looked at me for months after. Yet the look of pain on their faces when they had to pretend they didn't care about my 17th birthday, or about me, was almost worse. I knew they still cared, but they did such a good job of hiding it, it was sometimes hard to remember.

One time the authorities came to our house and questioned why I wasn't being beaten. After that, my dad started to make sure I had at least one visible bruise. He never broke a bone, and at first he used to cry when he beat me, but soon he shut off his emotions completely toward me, and his actions became robotic. He never spoke to me. The funny thing is, after that, the authorities never came back, but I never questioned why he continued.

They made me sleep in the barn every night, most nights it was cold. I started changing into a cat, a small gray cat, so I could curl up on one of the shelves next to some old blankets, surrounding myself at night to stay warm. Even though sleeping in the barn was punishment for being what I am, it saved my life.

March 6th 2440, drunken vampires raided our village for something to do. They burnt down my family's home. My family. I woke up to see the flames and to hear the final scream of my mother. I stayed hidden, shocked, scared. I couldn't move.

Still in my cat form, I stayed petrified, watching as it began to rain, and the flames died down, leaving in its place what used to be my home, my family.

----------
Photo: Annabelle

This chapter has been edited!!

Hey so I started a new account and re vamping (lol) an old story.

Please Please Please give feedback!

Thankk you!!!!! - K