Eighteen

Florence woke to a clap of thunder. Argo jumped up and started barking. Florence groaned and covered her face with a pillow. She could hear the rain pouring outside as the wind howled.

"My first day of summer and this happens!" She cried, tossing the pillow on the floor. Florence got up and walked downstairs. The house was empty. Both her parents at work. Jonathan was a professor at a local university, it was his last today. Which meant Florence had the house to herself for a day.

Florence got food and water for Argo and let him out to use the bathroom. Considering the girl had no cooking ability, she just made cereal.

"I'm bored!" Florence cried as she finished her cereal. Argo looked over at his owner. "I can't use magic and the weather is too crappy to do anything!"

Florence sat there for awhile, thinking about what to do. Argo got bored of waiting, so he left to take a nap. Finally, Florence got an idea of what to do.

"I'm not just going to sit here all day Argo, I'm going for a run!" Florence cried, looking to the spot where Argo was. However, he wasn't there. "Argo?" She asked, looking around. Florence shrugged and went to get ready.

• • •

After only a mile, Florence immediately regretted her decision. She was completely soaked and her runners were covered in mud. She tried to convince herself it was fine, but that changed when she slipped and fell into a giant spot of mud.

"Are you kidding me?" Florence spat, looking at her mud covered clothes. Florence stood up and began the track home. She reached up get some hair out of her face and ended up leaving a big streak of mud on her face. Well, it just added more mud than was already on her face.

Florence opened the back door and stepped on the mat. She reached down to take off her shoes as Allison appeared into the kitchen. Spotting her muddy daughter, Allison's eyes widened.

"Out!" Allison yelled. Florence looked up at her mother with a confused look.

"What?" Florence asked.

"Out of my house! You're covered in mud!" Allison shouted. She pushed Florence outside. Florence stared at her mother through the window in the door. As Florence stood there, she heard the door click.

"Mam!" Florence shouted. Allison shrugged and walked away from the door. Florence watched as Allison began to make dinner. Florence quickly took off her jumper, socks, and her shoes. She was left in her shirt and pants. Then the child pounded on the door. Allison unlocked the door and opened it.

"Good enough, now go get ready for dinner," Allison demanded. Florence walked past her mother and headed up towards the bathroom. 

• • •

The newly cleaned Florence sat at the dinner table, shoving food in her mouth. Her parents stared at her.

"You know you can breath, right?" Allison asked. Florence looked up at the two adults.

"I'm hungry!" She cried.

"We can see that," Johnathan said.

"Florence," Allison began, "you're father and I have to tell you something."

"I swear I didn't do it!" Florence shouted.

"No, we know that. Florence, we wanted to tell you that you're going to be a sister!" Johnathan cried. Both adults had large smiles. Florence took a sip of her water.

"A sister to what?" She asked, setting the cup down. Allison glared.

"Are you that thick headed? Obviously a little brother or little sister!" Allison shouted.

"Oh, when will this little pest come into the world?" Florence asked. Allison glared again.

"February," Allison fumed.

"Right, well, I'll start looking for a place to stay. When I come back over Christmas I'll began packing my thin—"

"Alright thats enough!" Allison yelled. The woman pointed towards the stairs. "Room, now!" Florence tossed her napkin down and headed towards the stairs.

"Argo, come!" She cried. The German Shepard followed Florence to her room.