Chapter 1

He was lying; there was no doubt about it. It was as plain as daylight and almost a little insulting. His hand twitched and I could see the sweat bead on his forehead. He shifted nervously from foot to foot, and his eyes avoided mine at all cost. On closer inspection, I could also see the vein in his forehead, pulsing fast and irregular. He was a text-book liar. A deceitful wolf in sheep’s clothing.

                If there was ever something that angered me more than lies and deception, it was cowardice and injustice. Here and now, I was experiencing both. I’d been on my way to my Factions History class when I’d been a witness to the spectacle; a willowy girl, dressed in reds and yellows, had plummet down a flight of stairs after a dauntless boy had shoved her aside. If that hadn’t been enough, as her books and notes had spilled out all over the floor, the boy had laughed and then proceeded to pick them up and rip them apart, throwing them in the air like confetti,  a malicious grin on his face the entire time.

                Without a second thought, I’d swooped in; checking on the girl’s well-being before directing all my anger towards the dauntless boy. Hands gripped around the neck of his jacket, I’d slammed him against a wall of lockers and was ready to beat him to a pulp before unknown hands had pulled me away.

                “Chill Sage,” I heard my best friend Danny warn as he yanked me back. “Not again. We’ve already been to the principal’s office twice this week.”

               I’d known Danny since I’d been a toddler, and it was only his words that had managed to calm me enough for me to hear out what the other boy had to say.

                “I didn’t realize the dauntless allowed spineless cowards in their faction,” I spat, crossing my arms and glaring at the boy in black who’d been quick to spin a lie.

               It was pathetic, and insulting; a lie to someone from candor, was like direct slap in the face.

                 “So let me get this straight. What you’re trying to tell me is that she pushed herself down the stairs and then proceeded to rip up her homework and fling it everywhere? Is that really the best you can come up with?” I seethed, clenching my fists and taking a menacing step towards the dauntless boy again. “I know what I saw, and even if I hadn’t, you’re a horrible liar. You practically have a neon sign flashing on your forehead screaming what really happened.”

                His fear betrayed him and he backed away, bumping into another student.

               “I’m not lying,” he muttered. His eyes landed on something as he searched through the sea of faces, and he suddenly grinned and brushed himself off. I followed his gaze, and I saw why he suddenly seemed so confident; around the corner two other dauntless boys were already making their way towards us.

                “What’s going on Marko?” one of the boys called the moment he saw I wasn’t dauntless.

              From afar, I could’ve easily passed for one; with my black pants, black leather jacket, and black boots, I was only distinguishable as a candor by the bit of white shirt that peeked out from under my jacket. Even physically, I wasn’t built like an average candor; whether it was genetics or just good luck, I was often confused for a dauntless simply because of my stature and athletic build.

                 “Nothing much, I was just about to teach this candor big mouth a lesson,” Marko jeered, his expression overconfident as he popped his knuckles and took a step towards me.

                     I smirked, not moving an inch as he got closer.

               “Oh were you?” I pulled free from Danny and made my way to the middle of the hallway, “that’s funny, because a few seconds ago I could’ve sworn you were ready to piss yourself.”