Chapter 5

You immediately stand and bow.

"Emperor-" You start.

"So this what you've been doing?" Arte cuts you off. He begins laughing. You don't dare to look up. "All this time, I thought you were mindless doll but you still have human qualities. Tell me F/n. How come you don't cry in front of me?" You become stock still. You hear the sound of his sword being unsheathed. You knew your answer determine your fate.

"It is because my tears aren't worth your time."

"Oh. How so?"

"I am merely a slave. How can someone do such indecent things in front of you." You hear him sheathe his sword. Inwardly you sigh in relief.

"Look at me." He orders. Silently you look up and stare at him. "Since you apparently wasted my time by crying in front of me, you can at least tell me why you were crying." 

"...I miss my father." you say honestly. Lying would get you no where.

"Where is he. Was he among the slave trade?" It was not as often, but there were men and boys who were apart of the slave trade. Most were usually taken as a child or was born into it.

"He is dead. Along with the men of my village." 

"Oh. Is it because your village couldn't pay the tax?" You see him smiling. You remain silent. You wanted to say something. No. You wanted to yell at him. Scream that he is monster and tyrant. If you opened up your mouth those words would come out. You did your best not to glare. You see his smile fade. Roughly he yanks you hair. You let out a yelp of pain. "When I ask a question, I expect an answer. So tell me, was it because they couldn't pay the tax?"

"...yes." He shoves you to the ground. He walks away. When you get up, you notice your hands have been scraped and covered in dirt. You silently walk back to the room you shared with the other girls.

You were lost in thought as you walked the halls. As you were walking, you bumped into someone.

"Watch where you are going." The lady says annoyed. Regina. When she notices that there is a speck of dirt on her dress, she glares at you. "Do you know the value of this dress? It was custom made and you ruined it within a second."

"I am-" before you could apologize you feel a sting on your cheek.

"What can your apology do? You are nothing but a slave. Your repentance means nothing to me." She says scornfully before walking away. You can hear her go on about how useless slaves are and how better life would be without them.

"The only reason your position seems more powerful is because there are people like us." You say in spite once you know she is out of earshot. You walk back to the room.

Arte watched the whole ordeal. He found it interesting. The most interesting part though was what you said. Your spirit wasn't broken even though all the odds were against you. The fact you said something like that aloud without hesitation made him more interested, especially since you were in a position where your words could get you killed.  "F/n what a very interesting girl you are." He then walks off to his office thinking about you and what entertainment you provided him so far.