9. STEVE: Lilacs

Words: 2.9K

Warnings: none, unless you count major feels as one.

There's something magical about a Friday night in New York City. Your true love and longtime boyfriend Steve Rogers has planned for a night in the big city and away from your quaint little home in the outskirts of the New York countryside—just a five minute drive from the top secret Avenger's compound. That's where you met, of course. He'd been the world-famous superhero and you the fearless inhuman with the eerie abilities. Now your everyday lives involve a bit of world-saving chaos, a fair amount of unpredictably, stability through your connection to each other, and an insane amount of love.

"You almost ready, babe?"

You huff. Steve's loud voice startled you and caused the red lipstick to smudge while you try to carefully draw it on.

"Almost! Five minutes!"

"You said that ten minutes ago!"

You roll your eyes. He's more impatient tonight than he usually is. Maybe it's because the restaurant he's got reservations for is so expensive and the drive is nearly two hours long.

"We'll make it, honey. Don't stress."

You hear the TV channels change as he's flicking through them lazily. "I'm not stressing. I'm just excited."

"You sound tense," you tease. You pop your head out of the bedroom and into the hall. You see him perched on the couch with his tie perfectly knotted and tucked. His neck cranes back to look at you. His blue eyes sparkle when he catches sight of you.

"Jesus Christ, babe. You look amazing." His grin is giddy and wide. "You think I'm tense now? Wait until I have to look at you like that all night without getting to touch you." God, he can be such a cheeky bastard when he wants to be.

You laugh. Even after three years he can make you blush. "Oh hush it, Cap." You hurry back into the bedroom before shouting, "But thank you."

The bedroom door softly shuts. You kneel down to search the pile of shoes there by the wall to find the black heels to best go with the satin emerald green dress you wear. It's nearly Christmas, so this color seemed most fitting for the Holiday season.

You find the shoes and then quickly slide them on. Your hand reaches out to grab the door when your body freezes—limbs and chest overcome with that familiar ice-cold feeling that your powers bring. You close your eyes and take a deep breath. You really didn't want to do this tonight... you were looking forward to a night alone with Steve.

Still standing towards the door, you can feel a presence appear behind you. It's strong and distinct, and you know you've never met this one before.

"Hello, darling."

The strong British accent surprises you. Your interest is peaked, and the next thing you know you're turning around to face the apparition. Sitting on the edge of your bed is a classic beauty with curled chestnut hair and bright red lips much like yours. She's got on a fitted blouse the color navy blue. Her eyes are the same foggy grey that all the spirits have—but hers are much less dull than most others.

The woman smiles in a cheeky way. She's got dimples. "You recognize me." It's not a question, but a statement. She's smart enough to see the familiarity on your shocked face.

"Well—yes. Of course I do," you stutter. You take a few steps away from the door closer to where she sits on your unaffected bedspread. "But I just don't understand..."

"What's your confusion, darling?" Her head tilts to the side slightly as she questions you. God, she's more beautiful in person than you could ever have imagined. Those pictures in the Compound do her no justice.