Chapter Thirty-Three: Terminal

~ How many times do I have to tell you? Even when you're crying you're beautiful too... ~

Chapter Thirty-Three: Terminal

"Hey Daddy," I laughed, kissing his cheek. Dad grinned, squeezing my shoulder.

"Hey pumpkin," he smiled, ruffling my hair. Dad gave Max a light punch on the arm behind me, making Max grin. "Hey, Max," he spoke. "You being good to my little girl?"

Max laughed lightly. "Always," he told him, bringing me closer and softly kissing my temple. My dad just smiled sleepily as us, letting us follow him in.

"So how's it going at the shop, Simmy?" Dad asked, letting Max and I settle on the couch. I smiled slightly, feeling Max's arm gently drape across my shoulders as he absently pulled me closer.

"It's going fine, Daddy," I assured. "Like it always is."

Dad smiled. "I always I have to check," he laughed. "You know how I am."

I nodded a little, feeling Max absently tracing patterns on the back of my hand as he watched me and Dad talk. He gave a small smile now and then, his eyes soft and bright as their brown color stayed trained on me.

"How're you, Max?" Dad asked, watching the love my boyfriend displayed as I slowly shifted my legs, sprawling them across his lap. Max chuckled lightly at my actions, his arm falling down around my waist and pressing me closer.

"Wonderful," Max told my dad, kissing my hair. "I'm simply perfect."

Dad laughed. "That wouldn't have anything to do with my daughter, would it?"

Max grinned, nuzzling into my hair. "It has every little bit to do with your beautiful daughter," he assured with a smile, causing my heart to flutter.

"Eight months," I told my dad. "Eight loving months."

Daddy just watched us, chewing his lip thoughtfully. "I know," he spoke. "I've never seen you happier than these last eight months."

I giggled, slowly standing and kissing Max's forehead. "I'm gonna go to the bathroom before dinner," I said, ruffling his hair. "I'll be right back."

Max smiled and nodded, squeezing my fingers as I made my way to the bathroom. Once I was finished, I crept down the hall, quietly hearing Max and my dad talking softly, and... I can't help it, I eavesdropped on their conversation a little.

"... never as content as when you hold her," I heard my father's hushed voice. I listened as Max gave a quiet chuckle, a smile evident in his voice.

"I want to be everything she needs to be happy," he spoke. "That's all I want, really... Her happiness is what's most important, whether it involves me or not," he laughed quietly. "I'm lucky beyond words that her happiness does include me."

I smiled softly to myself. "My daughter has fought her share of battles," my dad said. "She's become very skilled at hiding her pain, and she's reluctant to let many people into her world; she doesn't like to be coddled, doesn't like to be comforted, has never let herself be loved that way."

Max gave a small, humorless laugh. "I've noticed."

Dad chuckled. "But she's opened up to you," he said. "She's let you protect her, which is something she's never trusted anybody else with, not me, not even Lucas, really," my dad explained. "She's truly given her heart to you."

Max was quiet, and he must've nodded, because Dad continued. "All I ask is that you care for her," he whispered. "All I ask is that you never stop treating her like the princess you've been treating her like. You're the only true safe haven she's ever had."