9. News: the good and the bad

"He looks like me" Evan yelled out of nowhere. He has been staring at Dan all morning. Poor kid couldn't take a step without Evan stalking him.

"Look he has my eyes" He pointed at Dan who was sitting across him in the dining table.

I was ready for that "I guess you really were my first love then. Turns out you are my type" I winked at him from the kitchen.

He grinned "I've been telling you all my life, I'm awesome"

Emma laughed "Evan a girl never tells her first love that he was her first love, you know that right?"

"Why?" came Ray's voice from the door. God he really was clueless, he wasn't supposed to be here today.

Evan glared at him all the way from the hall till he sat down next to Dan.

"And who are you?" Evan asked

"Me?" Ray leaned leisurely in the chair, clearly teasing Evan "Her first love" he said with a sugary smile.

"That's not true" Evan spitted out as he looked at me, demanding answer. God he was such a child.

I shrugged. Ray grinned.

"Oh you two, stop teasing my baby" Emma stood up and wrapped her arms around Evan's neck as she gave him a loud kiss.

We laughed.

"I'm still waiting" Evan scowled "Who's he?"

"My friend from college" I replied, sitting down next to Dan.

"He brought you here?" he asked

I nodded

"He clearly isn't your mate. So why did you follow him here?" His questions were starting.

"Evan can we eat in peace", "How do you know that I'm not her mate?" I and Ray spoke together

It was Evan's turn to smirk "Dude you would have been married with six kids by now had you been her mate"

Ray nodded comically and went back to shoving his face with food.

"Is he homeless?" Evan nodded towards Ray "Why is he always here?"

"Evan you're being rude" Emma smiled apologetically at Ray

"Lay is mommy's boyfliend" Dan chirped in. We all turned to him in surprise.

"What?" I said loudly

Ray was gawking at him with his mouth full. "Did you teach him that?" I accused. He shook his head innocently.

"Daniel who told you that?" I questioned

"Jasmine told me that my mother's boyfliend is handsome" He said taking a bite of his pancake "when Lay gave her a ride on our way home"

I rolled my eyes as Ray raised his invisible collar "She's four, Ray"

"You're jealous" he replied

"Awww..... you guys are so cute. Like a real family" Emma swooned "Kiss already". If I have to roll my eyes one more time today, I'm sure they will fall off their socket.

"If you 'awww' one more time, Emma" Evan swore "I'll throw up"

*****

"So tell us everything" Emma said as we settled in the couch. Ray was dropping Dan off at preschool on his way to work.

I told them everything except the part about my mate of course. Dan's father was a one-night stand. He was a wolf of a pack I was travelling through. I thought I sensed my mate but I couldn't find him and when Dan happened, I couldn't turn back home. There were loopholes in my story but I would fill them up eventually if they point it out.